Possessed Power Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possessed Power Trim

Yesterday I was cleaning out my boat and while I was in the bow, the power trim engaged on it's own and raised the motor all the way up trim motor wouldn't shut off. I can use the trim down on the switch and the motor will go down but as soon as I let off the switch it goes back up. The switch moves to both up and down position and when I let off the switch, it returns to the middle position yet the trim up is still engaged. The only way to stop it was by disconnecting the battery. As soon as I reconnect the power cable to the battery the trim goes up. I have a 704 remote control for single engine which is a 1999 C60TLRX. I'm thinking the trim switched might be hosed up. Are these switches replaceable or do I need to get an entirely new remote control? I tried looking for a parts diagram for 704 remote control, but I am unable to find one.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has suggestions on how to resolve my problem - Justin

The trim switch is replaceable.

Here is a link to the Yamaha parts catalog at this website. You just need to know where to look for it. It is in the "rigging" section.

2006 and Later Rigging Yamaha Outboard CONTROL BINNACLE STANDARD SINGLE Diagram and Parts

Comment

Thanks boscoe99. Would you agree that it sounds like the switch is bad or could it be something else?

Comment

Yes, I would think that it is the switch. This is a common problem.

Comment

Originally posted by gahunter View Post
          Yesterday I was cleaning out my boat and while I was in the bow, the power trim engaged on it's own and raised the motor all the way up trim motor wouldn't shut off. I can use the trim down on the switch and the motor will go down but as soon as I let off the switch it goes back up. The switch moves to both up and down position and when I let off the switch, it returns to the middle position yet the trim up is still engaged. The only way to stop it was by disconnecting the battery. As soon as I reconnect the power cable to the battery the trim goes up. I have a 704 remote control for single engine which is a 1999 C60TLRX. I'm thinking the trim switched might be hosed up. Are these switches replaceable or do I need to get an entirely new remote control? I tried looking for a parts diagram for 704 remote control, but I am unable to find one.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has suggestions on how to resolve my problem - Justin
          Hi Justin,

I had the same problem on my 703 control. A new one costs over $100!
          I'll repeat a previous post for you. This may sort your problem out...

"Remove the control handle from the box (One 10mm bolt at the rear of the box). Carefully remove the screws holding the plastic (neutral), stop, remove the two holding screws for the switch.

Once you have the switch out, VERY CAREFULLY insert two small flat screwdrivers on either side of the press-button. Part the housing slightly to free the two pins on either side and lift the button out of its housing.

Inside the housing you will find a small copper plate and a small spring. Remove the plate and check for dirt and signs of arcing and clean it thoroughly.

Replace the plate and check that the small spring goes back in as before when you replace the button. Reassemble the unit and it should work." –

Good luck!"
          There is no task too simple for some people to complicate!
          Challenger 16ft - 1999 Yamaha 130 BETO

Comment

Originally posted by gahunter View Post
            Thanks boscoe99. Would you agree that it sounds like the switch is bad or could it be something else?
            how many switches do you have on that boat?

You can disconnect the T&T wires from the T&T relays and separate to test individual switches and wiring.

Could have a pinched wire and not a bad switch

Comment

99yam40, I only have one switch. Looking at the electrical diagram for my C60TLRX, which one is the T&T relay? 23 or 46?

1999 C60TLRX Yamaha Outboard ELECTRICAL 1 Diagram and Parts

Comment

But I agree that the relay can be powered manually to determine if it is the switch or the relay itself. However, switches being out in the elements are more prone to failure than the relay is. But, it could be the relay.

Comment

I was thinking a pinched wire maybe, not really the relay,
                  but with only one switch i would get to the switch disconnect it and make sure that is the problem before buying

Comment

Thanks to all for suggestions. I had to work late yesterday so didn't have time to work in it. Hopefully I'll have some time today to work on it.

Comment

I think I may have narrowed it down to being a bad relay. I haven't had time in the last couple of weeks to do anything with it. Yesterday, I hooked up the power (battery) and everything seemed normal. I walked away from boat and got to my garage when I heard the trim engage on it's own. Ran out and the motor was going up. I disconnected the battery. reconnected and nothing. Hit the trim down switch and heard a click noise come from there relay but nothing happened. Trim up and the relay would click. Down and all I got was a click. Back and forth on the switch a few times and eventually the trim went down. Then it wouldn't go up, but I did get a click noise from the relay. Back and forth again and eventually it went up. So, if the relay is "clicking" when I move the switch, that tells me the switch is working.

Comment

Sounds like the relay from the above post...

Just went thru something similar with the starter relay in mine..
                        Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

buy the relay, then replace the bad switch.
                          test it or simply chunk 300 dollar parts at it.
                          your choice.
                          all the relay does is take a low current switch input(helm switch) and controls a large current device(trim motor).
                          at rest BOTH relay contacts are spring loaded to ground.

but you do as you wish.

Comment

Working...
                          X