Neutral Safety switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutral Safety switch

I'm looking for guidance in replacing a neutral safety switch on a 2011 F250XCA with electronic shift. Sometimes, ignition switch doesn't work till I giggle throttle control control in and out of gear several times. I'm assuming it's the neutral safety switch. If so, is it located in the shifter control box (mounted on top of console) or under the motor cowling? Is is a difficult procedure?

It is mounted in the control box. Gonna be a bit fiddly getting the old one out and the new one in. Lots of stuff stuffed in the control box. Ever heard about putting 10 pounds into a 5 pound bag?

Comment

That’s what I was afraid of. Is it accessible from underneath, from inside the console?

Comment

Looks like the main TOP cover has to come off and it plugs into the main harness (which is probably) UNDER the boats console.

Probably have to un-plug all the connectors, remove the entire unit and tear down on a bench-(going slow with lots of notes and pictures)..

Looks like screw #59 holds that switch on. Once you access (remove that & un-plug), it comes off...

Guesstimating right now....
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-14-2018, 07:30 AM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

unlike others.
          I can tell you.
          remove the box from the console.
          mostly strip the box.
          replace said switch and reassemble.
          to a few or 50 and it aint so bad.
          be aware that the little 3.5mm hex screws tend to strip and they don't drill.

Comment

Appreciate the insight.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
              unlike others.
              I can tell you.
              remove the box from the console.
              mostly strip the box.
              replace said switch and reassemble.
              to a few or 50 and it aint so bad.
              be aware that the little 3.5mm hex screws tend to strip and they don't drill.
              what do you do when the strip ?

buy a new con*****er?

Comment

I would remove the top cover and see what access to the switch looks like. If accessible then well and good. If not, then the box is going to have to be removed from the boat. That is what I would do, swapping the switch on a work bench. Otherwise, a great chance of a part going missing.

Comment

Comment

trust me, the box is removed from the console and mostly stipped to replace that switch.
                    simply aint no other way.

Comment

I have this same exact problem! Did replacing the switch fix it? My motor won't crank now and I think it's the neutral switch in the box. 2013 f200xca. I used to gave giggle the handle for it to work but it officially failed. Please reply thank you

Comment

Shaka brah. F'n haole here. That is what I was known as when I lived in Makaha.

Bypass the switch and see if the motor cranks. But be careful making sure that the throttle handle is not in gear.

Comment

Working...
                        X