Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High power charging/output possible? (F200 MY2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
    but how they are produced and con*****ed is different between outboards and automotive.
    I think we agree the physical process is the same, but get caught up with the mechanical means and what we actually understand the names to mean. "Alternator" came from alternating current, they both generate alternating current and they both regulate the output voltage, but by completely different looking machinery.
    It is worth pointing out the differences in using a permanent magnet (Yamaha outboard) instead of an electric magnet (automotive), with the latter the electric output can be con*****ed by varying the voltage, whereas the permanent magnet "alternator" the output is fixed and regulation tends to require wasting energy (bleeding current to earth).
    Without offence, American's tend to solve things by making things bigger, or just add more fuel. Fine if resources are cheap and plentiful.
    If I am not mistaken, the OP is from the UK where this is not so, so more attention is focused on using technology to improve efficiency.

Comment

I do not see how we waist energy on the Yamaha outboard charging system since it is engineered and built in Japan.
      I also do not see how anyone can change the way something was built after it was designed/built.
      it is what it is

Comment

nope
        they are produced and con*****ed exactly alike.
        your simply taking an AC sine wave running it through a rectifier and sending it to the battery.
        the Yamaha system simply eliminates belts,brackets and slip rings and brushs.
        make no difference if you rotate a set of windings(rotor) in a stationary magnetic field(stator) or if you rotate a set of magnents (rotor) around a stationary set of windings(stator).
        the flywheel AC setup simply uses less parts and does the exact same thing.

Comment

I guess the point I would like to make again is that using a permanent magnet (imbedded in the flywheel) ,as stated does away with slip rings and brushes, and thus a separate belt driven alternator thereby simplifying the charging system in a Yamaha outboard engine, but at a cost to efficiency. The regulator is the problem.

For example, I am guessing the maximum voltage produced is way over that the battery can handle. Say it is 25 volts open circuit, could be more, someone could tell us. Now the voltage will go down under electrical load you will say, true.
          If this motor in question can produce 50 Amps, this voltage drop is not going to be much at 10 Amp load. So how does the regulator keep it at 14.5 Volts? It shunts current to earth.
          Ohm's Law will tell this energy to be: 25v minus 14.5v equals 10.5v times 10amp equals 105 Watts that is shunted away as heat, wasted.
          There are better ways (electronics) to utilise that example of 105 Watts. Whether you find this loss acceptable and feel you should not bother altering what Yamaha has designed is up to you, but in the automotive industry aftermarket modifications are thriving. Just a thought.

Comment

and that is eggzacary lioke a belt driven alternators regulator works. the excess is shunted to ground. that is why the belt driven uses a cooling fan and the flywheel systems use a water cooling or a heat sink.
            if you ever care to play with a modern V6 using an open load you will find most can go well over 500V.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
              I guess the point I would like to make again is that using a permanent magnet (imbedded in the flywheel) ,as stated does away with slip rings and brushes, and thus a separate belt driven alternator thereby simplifying the charging system in a Yamaha outboard engine, but at a cost to efficiency. The regulator is the problem.

For example, I am guessing the maximum voltage produced is way over that the battery can handle. Say it is 25 volts open circuit, could be more, someone could tell us. Now the voltage will go down under electrical load you will say, true.
              If this motor in question can produce 50 Amps, this voltage drop is not going to be much at 10 Amp load. So how does the regulator keep it at 14.5 Volts? It shunts current to earth.
              Ohm's Law will tell this energy to be: 25v minus 14.5v equals 10.5v times 10amp equals 105 Watts that is shunted away as heat, wasted.
              There are better ways (electronics) to utilise that example of 105 Watts. Whether you find this loss acceptable and feel you should not bother altering what Yamaha has designed is up to you, but in the automotive industry aftermarket modifications are thriving. Just a thought.
              Exactly. It is more and more about efficiency. Particularly in automobiles and trucks.

My old Ford pick up truck maintains a ~14.6 volt output no matter what. When the battery is fully charged the current flow is pretty damn low. However,

My 2016 Ford Fusion has a regulator that changes the output voltage continuously it seems. Once the battery is fully charged I have seen the alternator output voltage drop to 12.9 volts. I thought the alternator was failing at first. Current flow is all but non-existent. I have read up on the reason for "smart" alternators and it is all about fuel efficiency. Reducing the output voltage from ~14.6 to a lesser voltage causes the alternator to produce less electrical power and in turn the motor works less (less gasoline consumed).

Meanwhile, the Yamaha is using X HP to turn the flywheel with the lighting coils fully loaded which results in a greater fuel burn than would otherwise be the situation.

Comment

Someone fails to understand that an automotive alternator only produces whatever electrical power is needed to maintain its specified output voltage. No power to the field coils, then no power produced. A little power to the field coils a little power is produced. A lot of power to the field coils then lots of power is produced.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                  Someone fails to understand that an automotive alternator only produces whatever electrical power is needed to maintain its specified output voltage. No power to the field coils, then no power produced. A little power to the field coils a little power is produced. A lot of power to the field coils then lots of power is produced.
                  this is my understanding also.
                  plenty of cooling is needed only when it is producing a lot of power in a hot surroundings under the hood.

from what Rodbolt wrote I was beginning to think they had changed things since I was turning wrenches in the 70s

*W0W , an open load getting to 500V is probably why loose battery connections fry the RR.
                  those diodes are only designed for so much voltage

Comment

Working...
                  X