Converting 1998 Yamaha 25HP MSHW from tiller to remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting 1998 Yamaha 25HP MSHW from tiller to remote

For some reason, the 1998 25HP MSHW 6L2S004475 seems to be left out of most part list for conversion part lists even on boats.net . I have installed a side shift kit remote control attachment kit 6L2-48501-11-00 . A small center console with a Teleflex Safe-T Quick Connect steering box and a Ultraflex B59 shift/throttle box with universal teleflex cables. As yet I have not figured what hook I need to connect to my steering arm. I would like to leave the tiller on but appears there is not room. However out front appears to be a place for a hook to attach to the hole with the slot in it. Or do I need to pull tiller arm complete and attach hook where it goes.
    Does anyone know where does this hook item 689-48511-01-00 bolts on and should it work on my motor? As a reference, Used an older side shift kit 6L2-48501-11-00. Reference with this kit is a 689-48511-01-00 hook. Does it fit out on the front where the slotted hole is out on what would be what I call a handle on the front of the motor. You can see a vary similar part that appears to be off a motor similar to mine. Does it attach out front on this item or to the two holes left when you take this item off? If it does not fit out front, what is that hole with the slot in in for? My steering bar is off a 70HP older 3 cylinder Evenrude but appears to be correct length and bend. Has good bearings and all the bolts. Fits the cable. Interesting that it appears the shift/throttle cables could have gone in the front left also but I could not figure what conversion parts where needed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RIPSAWSBOAT; 04-11-2014, 06:35 PM.
    RIPSAW

Comment

It appears that 689-48511-01-00 is indeed what I need. It appears to have a rear hole also. Is that just an optional place for the steering bar to slow the movement down or decrease steering effort? Appreate the help.
      RIPSAW

Comment

As a follow up, I finial gave up on retaining the tiller/throttle along with the repmote control. Pulled it all off and fabricated a hook from a piece of 3 x 3 x 1/4thick 90 degree angle plate. Then I used the steering bar from a 70HP older junked Johnson. I think the hole in the front of the tiller arm is for a rod attachment to hook it to another larger motor when the smaller motor is used for *****ing. With it on, I saw no way for clearance for the stering bar to work. All is well now. Anyone doing this conversion who needs a measurment or picture, email me and I will post it on here for furture reference.
        RIPSAW

Comment

Could you not locate the proper remote control kit? Or is this the only one that would work on the later 90's models? I want to do the conversion on a 96 25hp motor and having trouble finding the correct conversion kit.

Comment

Originally posted by outdoorsman View Post
            Could you not locate the proper remote control kit? Or is this the only one that would work on the later 90's models? I want to do the conversion on a 96 25hp motor and having trouble finding the correct conversion kit.
            Start your own new thread. Provide the complete model and identification of your motor. Tell us what it is that you want to do.

Comment

Working...
            X