225TXRP: What is this red switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225TXRP: What is this red switch

Does anyone have a PDF manual of a 225 two stroke?

I'm very curious to what this switch does (see attachment) as well as what the "limp home" switch is on the black box (computer). I'm struggling to find any info on the intertubes!
    Attached Files

that's red switch is for manual fuel enrichment for emergency manual cold starts.

there is NO limp home switch.

there is a manual oil transfer switch.

Comment

Can you clarify which position is manual and auto mode (for oil) for that switch as I continue to find a manual? And just to be clear we are talking the switch on the black box...correct?

Comment

that red switch is for FUEL enrichment only.

the momentary switch on the black box is for manual oil transfer ONLY.

do some forum searching on precision blend.

Comment

YAMAHA MANUAL STORE

you can find the manuals you need here
          copy the #s and do some searching if you do not like the cost Yamaha gives.

the newer Owners manuals can be viewed but not printed , but you can order hard copies of any of them
          http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/owner...owners-manuals
          Last edited by 99yam40; 04-11-2014, 10:51 AM.

Comment

---------------

Comment

Thanks Guys. I found a guy who sold the whole PDF (factory repair manual) online for $14.00...has most of the models for the year 1991 covered. If anyone needs a copy send me a PM.

Comment

does not sound like it is Yamaha factory service manual as they do not cover all of the different motors with one manual.

They can be confusing trying to keep up with what motor they are talking about in procedures

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  does not sound like it is Yamaha factory service manual as they do not cover all of the different motors with one manual.

They can be confusing trying to keep up with what motor they are talking about in procedures
                  Here is a link to download and check out what I got:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yawrbdltjy...al_Factory.pdf

I was wondering if it was an equivalently of a Bentley or Chilton's but it clearly says Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA 1990. It covers many models and the uses a unique way to differentiate which HP/model while staying in the same section (electrically, fuel, etc.)

Is this something not really seen before?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                    that red switch is for FUEL enrichment only.

the momentary switch on the black box is for manual oil transfer ONLY.

do some forum searching on precision blend.
                    Rod,

When searching for "precision blend" only 13 posts come up and I got really no info out of what this system is or how it works.

From the parts list is appears that the red switch I asked about is on the prime starter which appears to be an electric choke system, is that true?

Lastly, there is a momentary switch on the dash with the ignition system on our Wellcraft...is this most likely to manually activate the choke too?

Comment

there is NO choke on that model.
                      its an automatic enrichment system for cold starts,rapid acceleration,knock detect and rapid deceleration.

have no clue about that toggle switch on the dash.

that enrichment assy at the top is simply a fuel pump drawing from the upper fuel bowl and two electric solinoids that operate based on ECU ground paths.

its called prime start, do not use the warm up lever when strting.

has NOTHING to do with precision blend oiling system.

Comment

Originally posted by carboncow View Post
                        Rod,

When searching for "precision blend" only 13 posts come up and I got really no info out of what this system is or how it works.

From the parts list is appears that the red switch I asked about is on the prime starter which appears to be an electric choke system, is that true?

Lastly, there is a momentary switch on the dash with the ignition system on our Wellcraft...is this most likely to manually activate the choke too?
                        Precision Blend is the Yamaha name for their automatic oil injection system. It can consist of one tank on a motor (smaller models) or two tanks for larger models such as yours (one tank on the motor and one in the boat). The larger remote tank in the boat automatically keeps the smaller tank on the motor filled with oil via an electric oil pump. Oil is taken from the engine mounted tank and delivered to a mechanical oil pump that is driven by the crankshaft. The mechanical pump varies the amount of oil that is provided to the motor based on engine RPM and percent of throttle opening. That is it in a nutshell. Oh, it does have a caution and warning system that alerts the operator if anything is amiss.

A cold motor needs more gasoline to help start and operate it than does a warm motor. There are several ways to add that additional gasoline. There are choke plates and then there are other devices referred to by Yamaha as Prime Start. Your Prime Start device is one of several types offered on Yamaha motors. As boltman noted, your Prime Start system does more than just facilitate a start. On some models that is all that it does.

Early key switch panels had a toggle switch incorporated within the panel. It is to activate an electric choke for those models that have an electric choke which your model does not have. I suspect that is the toggle switch that you are seeing, particularly if it is spring loaded off and you have to hold it in the on position. Later switch panels used a key switch that can be pressed in to activate a choke if there is one on the motor. That function simply does not do anything on certain motors that don't use an electric choke.

Comment

Great info guys...thanks for your time. I"m almost there on this engine! Been studying parts and that manual I found late into the night.

Boscoe, just to be clear you are starting that momentary switch is just a vestige from those older models that had a choke and most likely not doing anything then?

When I get back to the boat I'm going to have a look at the wiring on that switch. We have the center console out and are going to start cutting a floor on Monday so I'm going to see more about what that switch is about.

Comment

Originally posted by carboncow View Post
                            Here is a link to download and check out what I got:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yawrbdltjy...al_Factory.pdf

I was wondering if it was an equivalently of a Bentley or Chilton's but it clearly says Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA 1990. It covers many models and the uses a unique way to differentiate which HP/model while staying in the same section (electrically, fuel, etc.)

Is this something not really seen before?
                            That appears to be a "pirated" version of the Yamaha service manual. I could only get the first page to appear.

The problem with most Yamaha manuals is that they provide almost no information about theory of operation. To me they are a glorified parts catalog with torque values and some test point data.

And, as you note, one manual is sometimes used to cover different models if they are somewhat similar to each other. Another crappy way to do a manual.

Remember

Yamaha craftsmanship = Superb
                            Yamaha design = Adequate
                            Yamaha data = crap, just crap

Comment

I have to agree it's a bit of poor manual on many levels...and with all the unique models. I printed off a few pages for my buddy who is more of an "outboard" guy and when I got to work I realized I pulled the wrong model's pages!

If you were seeing the manual in your browser it may have not downloaded yet since it's several hundred pages. If you have interest "right click" and "save as" to your desktop (depending on your operating system).

I had to work with both a parts list and this manual to figure a few things out.

Any idea if the operators manual (which I'm having trouble sourcing) is worth the $20.00 as Yamaha does claim to still have these available. I would assume this is more useful or does it not really explain the systems as well as you guys have?

Comment

Working...
                              X