Help with steering tube: 225TXRP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with steering tube: 225TXRP

This is a 1991 225HP we just acquired...did some time in salt water environment. Got to start right up and other then a carb cleaning/rebuild it should do well.

The steering is seized up and we believe the issue is with the tube/slider assembly. My buddy is an outboard guy (I'm an inboard) so I'm trying to understand what is going on here. It appears seized steering tubes are common and difficult to deal with. From what I am understanding once the threads are taken off the starboard side one needs to "drive" the shaft thru the tube from the port side, correct? What advice can you give to assist. We've whacked on it with a hammer and several days of penetrating oil...seems someone would have designed a thread on drift/puller for this need!

I also have a short video showing the movement of the cable sheath from the starboard side here: Steering Tube Stuck - YouTube

Any advice would be helpful.
    Attached Files

only common on neglected rigs.
    you most likely need a water pump,t-stats and pressure control valve grommet and fuel pumps.

the steering tube nut is on the stbd side.
    the tube moves out from the stbd side to the port side.

requires engine removal or you WILL break a bracket.

usually requires oxy/acetylene or more commonly known as a flame wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      only common on neglected rigs.
      you most likely need a water pump,t-stats and pressure control valve grommet and fuel pumps.

requires engine removal or you WILL break a bracket.

usually requires oxy/acetylene or more commonly known as a flame wrench.
      We believe the engine to be sitting three years...fired right up from an external tank of clean gas other then the bottom carb needed cleaned pretty well as the bowl was overflowing.

I did just find a manual and am struggling to find the pressure control valve...do you have an image or suggestion?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post

After re-reading this can you clarify that the once we bench the engine should be be driving the shaft in the tub to the starboard side...or using a pulling and releasing it from port? I'll assume this is somewhat of a dumb question considering it's attached to the cable and thus would have to follow it...but I'm also not sure if there is any way it separates inside the tube.

We had another reason to pull the engine...so they just confirms the need if it's easier to deal with off.

Comment

the valve is under that thermostat looking housing on the lower stbd side of the exhaust cover.

Comment

Working...
          X