Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

want to change from hyd steering to cable steering ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want to change from hyd steering to cable steering ???

I have a 1988 21'Proline center console with a Yamaha 200 and want to change from hyd to cable steering. here is the reason why. sitting in my driveway I was turning the steering wheel port side and the hyd line blew from the helm fitting. if that had blown on the water heading offshore or back to port at any rate of speed , it would have had great potential for disaster. this little scenario has me thinking of changing to cable steering.

my questions are how hard would it be to change these 2 systems out and which one would I use ? there are several to choose from. I don't want a system that is going to be difficult to steer or torque hard to one side or the other. how do I determine the right length cable? do I go with a single cable or double cable.

thanks for any and all advice given on this subject . I thank you as well as my future passengers including friends and family members.

mike from orl fla

Be careful as to what you go after.

The hydraulic system, despite you having had a one in a billion failure, is the more reliable of the two systems.

I once had a cable break with cable steering. It was not pretty but it did get the ole heart rate up.

Comment

I would think replacing your current set up with high quality components will serve you as well as converting to a cable.
      2002 19ft. Baystealth 1888 with Yamaha F115 (4 stroke)
      2002 15ft Alumacraft with 25 Yamaha 4 stroke

Comment

how long should a hose last with no maint and exposure to the elements everyday?
        it did NOT suddenly failed.
        YOU failed.
        most single cable systems are limited to a MAX of 150 HP OR 60 MPH.

dang thang lasted almost 26 years, what more do you wish?

exactly how long should marine parts last ?

I doubt you car is a 1988 with NO replacement parts on it.

Comment

easy rod , I don't know how old the steering is , ive only had the vessel for 6 mo. im not downing the unit, it just seems the a direct contact , or solid attachment is the best way. kind of like the strongest connection is a straight line.

Comment

go back with the new Kevlar lines and fuggit about it.

a single cable steering is not rated for a 200.

boats are not designed to get wet.

I aint got maytag on my shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by scarab30/200 View Post
              kind of like the strongest connection is a straight line.

That would be the shortest...but not necessarily the strongest.
              2002 19ft. Baystealth 1888 with Yamaha F115 (4 stroke)
              2002 15ft Alumacraft with 25 Yamaha 4 stroke

Comment

found my ram cylinder is binding up, which caused the line to blow off of the helm fitting.the line slipped right out of the Ferrell and nut at the helm. now I have another question for you guys can different brands interchange with one another.i have a hydraflex helm , can I use a seastar ram cylinder with ths helm. I know its the ram because when I take the ram loose from the engine it turns free each way.. the steering wheel was smooth but tight to turn . thanks for all constructive advise.

Comment

Working...
                X