Lightest Starting Battery... Odyssey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightest Starting Battery... Odyssey?

Looking for the lightest starting battery for a 2000's yamaha 90hp 2 stroke. Only electronics are a fish finder, 2 lights, blige and washdown. The kicker motor also has a 6amp charging system. I know the 90hp only has a 10amp charging system and the minimum CCA per Yamaha is like 380 CCA.

I've been looking at the small starting batteries by Odyssey. Specifically the PC1100. It comes in at 500CCA, 650MCA and 87 minutes reserve. All for only 27lbs.

By the numbers it looks great. However, I thought I remember some issue with the battery resistance and the CDI ignition? Anyone have any input on these batteries?

why worry about the weight of a battery when you cannot hand crank the motor after running the battery down with other loads.
    get a big battery or better 2 so if one runs down you have the other to start the motor to get back home

Comment

it's a small lightweight jet sled. Need as a shallow of draft as possible. The kicker is a pull start with charging system too worst case.

Comment

Never thought much about it. I use two old school lead acid batteries. If the gel/optima is lighter, go for it. I do like having two batteries. Had four at one point. Got rid of the *****ing motor and the two batteries. So I get the concept of dumping weight. Just not willing to spring for high tech batteries for the remaining two.

Comment

more lead means more power
          more lead means more weight

you can always find the lightest battery around and then carry a Lion jump start battery to keep with you in case the 1 bat goes south
          Last edited by 99yam40; 08-06-2018, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Don't forget to factor in how much that odessey will lighten your wallet too....

Sorry couldn't resist.

Comment

Originally posted by driver27 View Post
              Don't forget to factor in how much that odessey will lighten your wallet too....

Sorry couldn't resist.
              Very true... I've seen the one I'm looking for sold for around $200. But the last battery lasted me 8 years... so I don't consider it too bad. Shaving 40lbs off in a small boat is a bigger deal than it sounds.

Comment

Lightest could be lithium-ion and you can get plenty of extra capacity, not likely that you can't start the engine because the battery is empty. Of course you'd need a suitable charging system...

Comment

Working...
                X