Speedometer / pitot tube flushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer / pitot tube flushing

As requested by another forum member. Like most salt water used engines, the pitot tube opening in the LU is often clogged with salt.

Below is what I came up with to keep it clean. The rubber hose with the "V" is put over the pitot hole in the LU and fresh water is pumped (garden hose) in. What goes in will mostly come out.

To ensure ALL the water (and any salt water) is out of the entire system, I tee'ed in a regular shrader valve up inside the console into the Yamaha speedometer hose (to the speedometer).

I then simply hook up my 12 volt mini compressor to the valve and it pumps ALL the water out of the entire system.

Note, it does NOT have enough pressure to damage the speedometer. (should you turn on the key to watch the display, it usually reads about 17 MPH with the pump on and the pitot tube OPEN).

You'll be surprised how much water is laying in the main line (in the hull) when first cleaning out the line..

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Additional picture

A full picture of the flushing hose that attaches to the garden hose and goes up against the pitot tube on the LU:

Scott

Comment

Great set-up!....Yamaha may steal/patent your idea, so don't be surprised!....they'll call it Yamaflush and charge $350!....

Comment

Great set-up Scott

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
          Great set-up!....Yamaha may steal/patent your idea, so don't be surprised!....they'll call it Yamaflush and charge $350!....
          Thank you..

Wouldn't doubt it, the $350 cost.

Costs $3.50 to make, mark it up 1000% because its marine and says Yamaha on it... There ya go!!

(Took me longer to take pic's, upload to Photobucket, then post than to make the entire set up((damn near))
          Scott

Comment

Speedometer Malfunction

Thanks for responding to my recent forum post regarding a speedometer problem and especially for the excellent flush out procedure you provided.

Comment

Working...
            X