'87 70hp rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '87 70hp rebuild

I have a rattling coming from the main bearings, Does 2k sound about right for a rebuild? Crank, pistons, everything. Thanx

You can get a new powerhead for $1606.00 but you may also need carb, water pump parts.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Dan,
      Boats.net price of $1606 for a NEW powerhead sounds better than a rebuild for $2K - of course, you will have to add labor to that.
      If I had a motor to rebuild, I would not hesistate to go to my trusted marine mechanic in Orange, Tx - he's as good as they get. If you want to get in touch with him and discuss your options, let me know and I will PM you his phone number.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Ken, do you remember talking to me about 5mths ago about this same motor? Well the deal finally came through, $0 notta. $1600 is alot better price than I found. All where around $2000-2100. This quote includes remanufactured crank and new pistons. I've been building hotrods and atv's (2-strokes & 4 strokes) since the '80s. I've never been through a outboard, plus I'll whin'ed up taking off work. Thats more expensive than labor, because I'm that impatient. Anyway, I have nothing into the motor and the lower unit was rebuilt by yamaha 1 1/2 years ago. 2k for a almost new motor, after Katrina and Rita soaked most of the motors around here. I'll be in your neak of the woods next week off of Linburg St. Gotta fo to the UP credit union for a withdrawl. Do you know anyone that needs a '84 115 merc? It was way to much for my '15 skeeter. Thanx for the replies. Dan

Comment

Dan,
          Considering what a new 70 hp would run you - $2K doesn't sound too bad. Be sure and get some kind of warranty with that - break the motor in like a new one, and get some hours on it before your warranty runs out.
          Ken K

Comment

I tried to talk my wife into a new 90, ($5,700) installed but she wouldn't go for it. He's a reputable shop with a warrenty, just not sure what kind yet. Thanx

Comment

Well after the powerhead was pulled off, I came across a better deal. '97 85hp with 20hrs on it, very clean motor from a good buddies, buddy, cousin's, grandfather. I'm mounting it Fri afternoon. Just not sure what to do with the 70 now. What parts are interchangeable? Trim, lower unit, anything? Can the 85hp be converted to a 90hp? Ken, do you need parts? LOL, Thanx

Comment

Dan,
                Sounds like you got a good deal - if you come
                across a used Yamaha 115 (2000 year model, give or take a year), I might be interested.
                Ken K

Comment

I'll keep an eye out for one.

Comment

Ken go ahead and send me that #. It doesn't to be the crank after all. I might go ahead and build it for my dad in DeQuincy. Orange is only 30min away. I'm picking up the 85hp tomorrow. Thanx

Comment

Dan - you have a PM.
                      Ken K

Comment

Working...
                      X