1996 yamaha 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 yamaha 25

Hi everyone I'm new to outboards and new to the forum. I recently just bought this motor and currently have 3 issues with it. First is the upper shifter rod broke off and someone rigged up a extended coupling which came apart. Does anyone know what all I have to take off to change the upper shift linkage? The next issue is the throttle plate is sticky and sticking open. Last issue is the electric start doesn't work. It's either the switch or relay which this issue I haven't gotten to yet because I've been messing with the shifter linkage.

Which part is broke? Part #23?

1996 25ELHU Yamaha Outboard CONTROL Diagram and Parts

Re the throttle plate, is it just varnished up? If it is, some brake cleaner should loosen it up. Check the linkages to the carb itself and make sure all that's working freely...
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-08-2016, 07:09 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Ya all I had to do is put some WD40 on the linkages and it was good to go. Any idea about changing the upper shift linkage?

Comment

Originally posted by Donman89 View Post
        Ya all I had to do is put some WD40 on the linkages and it was good to go. Any idea about changing the upper shift linkage?
        Good,

Which part # is broke? Please click on the link for a MUCH larger pic and name..
        Scott

Comment

Number 23.

Comment

It appears that rod has a nut at the bottom that attaches to the shift rod on the lower unit.

I am not familiar with the assembly however, can you see the nut at the bottom of the broken rod?
            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-07-2014, 07:25 PM.
            Scott

Comment

Ya it had a coupling that connects the 2. The previous owner broke the upper linkage off. It looks like I may have to take the powerhead off to change the upper shift linkage.

Comment

Originally posted by Donman89 View Post
                Ya it had a coupling that connects the 2. The previous owner broke the upper linkage off. It looks like I may have to take the powerhead off to change the upper shift linkage.
                Again, I'm not familiar with it short of looking at the parts fisch.

I seriously doubt you need to pull the powerhead, but more likely, the lower unit. (Please obtain a shop manual to firm that up or someone else chimes in). The end it connects to should be the shift linkage which IS ATTACHED to the lower unit.

It looks as thou, with the top of the rod disconnected, you'd probably leave it in neutral, drop the lower unit. Remove the broke part and replace with the new one. Its likely adjustable to get neutral in the linkage with neutral in the lower unit. Slip it back up and attach the new rod in the shift rod lever, (part #15). Just make sure that while everything is in neutral, the NEW rod slips in easily. If not adjust it up or down until it does.

IF you can reach that coupler without pulling ANYTHING, simply remove the old broke part and spin in the new one(adjust as posted above). You may have to remove some other linkages for space but again, I'm pretty much "guesstamating".

Hope that helps...
                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 04-07-2014, 07:38 PM.
                Scott

Comment

Ya I've already had the lower unit off about 3 times. I ordered the new upper shift linkage but for the meantime I have rigged up 2 couplings with a stud in between the upper and lower linkage to make up where the top one broke off. So for now it's working fine but I don't want to leave it like that.

Comment

the shift link upper to lower is connected with a barrel nut that is locked with a jam nut.

IF part #23 is bad the only way to access it is with powerhead removal.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                      the shift link upper to lower is connected with a barrel nut that is locked with a jam nut.

IF part #23 is bad the only way to access it is with powerhead removal.
                      Thanks for the help (beats guesstamating and no manual). I wouldn't have thought Yamaha would design it to pull the powerhead for a coupler.

Is there an adjustment when the new part is spun onto the coupler? If so, can you can adjust (spin) it once its assembled?

Thanks again..
                      Scott

Comment

I appreciate you guys help!! Looks like it's gonna be time for engine removal!!

Comment

Working...
                        X