Commandlink Plus (troubleshooting)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commandlink Plus (troubleshooting)?

So I tried to add something to my boat (can't live with good enough)

I have a 2014 VF200 SHO and digital gauges. I have a 12" Lowrance Touch currently not connected to the engine (tach and fuel gauges work fine). I wanted to add the 12" to get all the engine stuff on the screen.

I bought a command link plus to hook into the current system - there is an open plug in the command link junction box. Hooked the command link plus up into the junction box and NMEA network and no luck. All the other stuff still works. I am getting a blinking yellow light and solid green light on the command link plus (manual says it not communicating because of the solid green light).

Anyone got any thoughts? I switched "T's" into the NMEA, switched plugs in the junction box, etc. with no luck.

My thoughts are that the VF200LA model is not Command Link Plus compatible.

So, if you really have and are talking about the Command Link Plus Gateway, it is the wrong Interface box for your particular model motor.

And here is something else. With a Command Link motor (not the Command Link Plus) you don't even need to use the Yamaha Gateway/Interface box. There is a cable that will plug into a Command Link hub at one end and into a T fitting on an NMEA 2000 network at the other end. Voila. Engine data will appear on the MFD.

Good luck trying to return an electrical component to Yamaha.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 04-04-2014, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Go figure, there is always e-bay, anyone want a discounted command link plus (never used) :-)

I have 2 gauges plugged into the gateway. I need the plug from the gateway into the NMEA 2000. Is this correct?

I hear what your saying, but the engine must be plugged into the gateway for the 2 digital gauges to work?

Comment

The two gauges plug into a hub. Not the Gateway.

The Gateway is a device that can be used to get engine data from a motor, via a Yamaha hub, to an NMEA 2000 MFD.

There are two types of Gateways. One for Command Link and one for Command Link Plus. The SHO is Command Link only.

See the illustration below. You can get a Command Link (not the plus type) and plug it into your existing hub, if you have Command Link gauges. It will also plug into an NMEA 2000 network.

Comment

Thats what I have now, I know because I tried last night to get this to work.

I have 1 open 4P on the hub (2 gauges are the other 4P's), 2P is power (working of course), and 6P is motor I am assuming?? The other 6p has an end that doesn't connect to anything (grey plug).

Just to confirm, I need the cable coming out of the hub (4P) that "T's" into my existing NMEA 2000 network. I am currently running sonic hub, structure scan, etc.

Comment

Here is a cable that will interface the Yamaha hub with your NMEA 2000 network.

Yamaha Command Link to NMEA2000 Adapter Cable - W/Existing NMEA2000 Network - BOE Marine

The gray 6 pin plug at the end of the hub is a resistor. That resistor will have to be removed. You will then remove one of the end line resistors from your NMEA 2000 network. Remember, you only want two resistors installed.

If you simply added the interface cable you would have four resistors. Two Yamaha type and two NEMA 2000 type.

Comment

So, I tinker with stuff a lot. Given I bought the adapter cable with the commandlink plus and had a 1 foot black NMEA cord here, I started cutting and splicing. Actually on splices the blue and white wires together, did not do power. Plugged it into the open slot and working like a charm.

Comment

Hi, I think i need a command link plus gateway for my boat, would be interested if you still have it for sale. i have a 2012 250 and have a command link plus system installed, trying to get it to talk to my GPS. bought a gateway from my dealer that sold me the motor and guage but it was the wrong one . it is the ml-09 for the command link. the instructions say it is the wrong one that you have to have a different gateway ay-kt this number i think has been superceeded?? My dealer is stumped and cant get help from yamaha so i have been trying to figure this out on my own. yes and they wont take the part back! lol

Comment

Originally posted by SCGT5000 View Post
                  Hi, I think i need a command link plus gateway for my boat, would be interested if you still have it for sale. i have a 2012 250 and have a command link plus system installed, trying to get it to talk to my GPS. bought a gateway from my dealer that sold me the motor and guage but it was the wrong one . it is the ml-09 for the command link. the instructions say it is the wrong one that you have to have a different gateway ay-kt this number i think has been superceeded?? My dealer is stumped and cant get help from yamaha so i have been trying to figure this out on my own. yes and they wont take the part back! lol
                  What help can't the dealer obtain from Yamaha? He should not even have to talk to Yamaha. All of their data with respect to CL and CL+ is available to him on line. Strange.

Command Link Gateway is for a Command Link network. Part number MAR-GTWAY-ML-09.

Command Link Plus Gateway for a Command Link Plus network. Part number 6Y9-8A2D0-00-00.

Now there is a Gateway that can be used on both a CL and a CL+ network. Part number 6Y9-8A2D0-20-00.

Do you know about your motor also having a CL network as well as a CL+ network? You can either use your CL Gateway on that network or you can use that network without any Gateway at all. Your choice.

Comment

I have the following:

MAR-GTWAY-KT-00 COMMAND LINK PLUS N2K GATEWAY

Just let me know if this is what you need?

Comment

Working...
                    X