703 Remote- insulator at key is dissolving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 703 Remote- insulator at key is dissolving

The black plastic, which encompasses the key on my side mount 703 remote control, for my 150 hp Vmax Model 150 TLRY, is slowly dissolving and turning to black goo! How do I fix this? I think the previously plastic, but now semi-liquid, insulation was meant to not give a shock when turning the key. But, I'm afraid that someday I'll eventually get stuck out on the water with an non-functioning key and remote. There is no apparent reason for this dissolving action. What to do?

I think you are talking about the key cover. Perhaps some detergent/bleach/cleaning agent got on yours and is dissolving it. Only fix is a replacement.

It should not effect use of the control box. Some folks don't even use a key cover.

2013-MRP-Catalog

Comment

If it is the key cover, just remove it from the key

Comment

That black rubber key cover is important to prevent rain/moisture out of the key switch....mine deteriorated with time/UV/weather....so I scrounged one from an old boat/motor from the local dealer....ask around and hopefully you can find one, as it's sold as part of the key switch$$$.....

Comment

The key cover and key switch cap can be purchased from your dealer.
          You need your key number to get the proper switch cap.

Some spray oils degrade the switch cap over time, turning it to goo.

Comment

I'm talking about the round black rubber grommet with the slit in it that protects the ignition switch from rain/weather....the key also has a black rubber cover that fits around it....They each work together to keep out moisture.......

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
              I'm talking about the round black rubber grommet with the slit in it that protects the ignition switch from rain/weather....the key also has a black rubber cover that fits around it....They each work together to keep out moisture.......
              Take a look at part number 6K1-82532-00-00

2013-MRP-Catalog

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                Take a look at part number 6K1-82532-00-00

2013-MRP-Catalog
                Yep, those are the 2 items....they both need to be on there to seal the ignition switch from water...

Comment

I had that circular key cover replaced under warranty years ago.

It was indeed available without the switch.

The cover just above the stereo, to the left of the grab rail, lower part of the picture:

Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

That's the part- 6k1-82532-00-00

I'll replace that ASAP. Anyone have a tip. I guess you'd have to take the side control box apart.

And no, there was no solvent used, possibly UV damage, but UV damage is usually a drying out, not a dissolving. Oh well!

Comment

Working...
                    X