p150tlrp water pump o ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p150tlrp water pump o ring

Changing pump impeller today. Can't find any sign of o ring supposed to be around drive shaft. Shows in diagram and I assume located in cover housing. But no oring or grove for it that I can feel or see?? Also, the upper drive shaft has some very small grooves/scratches around it just below gear splines. I assume these are from a bearing inside race maybe that has turned sometime. Is this serious? Motor is a 1991.
    1991 Kingfisher 179. Yamaha ProV 150, P150TLRP,Ser#352453, code 6J9L, eng#038614. prop-SS. 25-M.

Are you referring to part #24, 25 or ?

1991 150TLRP Yamaha Outboard LOWER DRIVE 1 Diagram and Parts

The larger O-ring (part #24) fits inside the bottom of the housing, part #22. Should be a small groove.

The parts schematic shows a bearing up top, shims, etc up top, part #'s 35 thru 37. Perhaps it needed greasing and wasn't. Your shop manual should address that..

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-31-2014, 06:06 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Part 25, the small o ring. I can not find a groove for it in the upper housing. Part 23 appears to fit flush up to 22 with no place for oring. And the very top part of the housing is a slick smooth surface.
      1991 Kingfisher 179. Yamaha ProV 150, P150TLRP,Ser#352453, code 6J9L, eng#038614. prop-SS. 25-M.

Comment

Dunno..

The parts fisch, unless I'm missing something, I don't see the wave washer, collor, etc that keeps the impeller from dislodgng. Those would be right the on the parts fisch.

Looking at my PDF shop manual for my F150, it shows the wave washer/collor AND SMALL O-ring (like yours). It does fit between the SS cup and the housing(with the 4 bolts).

PM sent
        Scott

Comment

You need to pay attention to the year models

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            You need to pay attention to the year models
            The picture posted above and link IS his model and year engine...
            Scott

Comment

I meant watch for the difference between your and his if different years/models

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                I meant watch for the difference between your and his if different years/models
                Yep, its obviously different, no keepers on the impeller either apparently.

It still doesn't explain the fisch showing that small o-ring and the Op stating there's no cut out in the housing for it.

For the op, can you post a picture of the inside of the housing (with the four bolts)?
                Scott

Comment

there is a groove in the housing.
                  if you will look at the above diagram closely you will see the driveshaft anti knock components that were used on V motors prior to 1995.

all the 95 and up wave washer/retainer assy does is keep the shaft from that annoying knock.

has NOTHING to do with the impeller assy.

Comment

You guys lost me with the anti knock discussion.

There is nowhere I can see for that o ring25 to go in my housing.
                    At the top of the housing is about a 3/8ths wide sleeve bearing surface that the drive shaft fits through.
                    Between the stainless Impeller cover housing23 and the hard plastic housing22 is nothing. At that meeting point the plastic housing is ribbed on the inside and therefore not conducive to an o ring type seal. There is nothing there that is solid that would support an o ring25.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bailey View Post
                      You guys lost me with the anti knock discussion.

There is nowhere I can see for that o ring25 to go in my housing.
                      At the top of the housing is about a 3/8ths wide sleeve bearing surface that the drive shaft fits through.
                      Between the stainless Impeller cover housing23 and the hard plastic housing22 is nothing. At that meeting point the plastic housing is ribbed on the inside and therefore not conducive to an o ring type seal. There is nothing there that is solid that would support an o ring25.
                      Can you post a picture of the inside of the plastic housing?

There should be a circular groove around that opening for the 0-ring to sit in is the bottom line..

Re the anti-knock, its was just a slightly different set up (then what I stated) than your motor has (IE, ignore what I said, its not applicable in your engine)
                      Scott

Comment

You can see the stainless steel23, the ribs on inside of housing22, and the top of housing that contacts drive shaft. Any o ring or o ring groove would have to be in that top part of housing it seems to me. That would prevent water from coming up out of the pump housing and by the crankshaft??right??
                        Working on that picture, but can't seem to be able to choose file picture to attach.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bailey View Post
                          You can see the stainless steel23, the ribs on inside of housing22, and the top of housing that contacts drive shaft. Any o ring or o ring groove would have to be in that top part of housing it seems to me. That would prevent water from coming up out of the pump housing and by the crankshaft??right??
                          Working on that picture, but can't seem to be able to choose file picture to attach.
                          If you do Photobucket, you can upload a picture from your computer to there. Once in PB, COPY the image link and simply paste it here on a post, the pic will show up large.

If you simply upload from your computer, go to "manage attachments" under you current/open post , then "cloose file", and either upload from your camera, pictures, or where the picture is..
                          Scott

Comment

here is a try at it, says it is attached, maybe it is but do not see it in this message.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I have not seen a water pump housing that used a o ring to seal against the drive shaft. But I have not looked at many Yamaha's of different HP and years

Maybe the oring goes between the cup and housing

Comment

Working...
                              X