lower unit speed pick up tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower unit speed pick up tube

Broke off a drill bit in tube trying to clear it. I can not blow it back out from the upper joint connection. Is the backside in the gear shift chamber, not sure i want to tackle that???
    1991 Kingfisher 179. Yamaha ProV 150, P150TLRP,Ser#352453, code 6J9L, eng#038614. prop-SS. 25-M.

info

Its a pro v 150tlrp, 1991 model
    1991 Kingfisher 179. Yamaha ProV 150, P150TLRP,Ser#352453, code 6J9L, eng#038614. prop-SS. 25-M.

Comment

go with GPS for speed would be my choice, gettin that broke bit out is not going to be easy.
      How did you break it off?
      should have been just turning it with your fingers not a drill motor

Comment

Had a small bit mounted in a short wood dowel and cleaned port for years in the driveway that way with finger twisting. However, got in a hurry one day trying to do it hanging out over the back of boat in the water, well the rest is obvious..

Comment

Maybe grind/drill/open up that hole just enough to get the tip of some sharp pointed needle nosed pliers on that drill bit?....

Comment

I'd disconnect the water hose(speedometer hose) at the front of the engine (should be a junction about 2' forward of the hood).

Either use some air pressure (air compressor) from the top, downwards and tap the LU (with air pressure) to help dislodge it.

If no air is available, slip a small funnel over the engine side of that hose. Take your garden hose nozzle and blow water from the top down, again tapping on the power unit. You may be able to dislodge it. GENTLY tapping the broken bit also with another bit may loosen it.

Good luck
            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-31-2014, 05:49 PM.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

broke a bit off in mine about a year ago. Take some marine weld and cover your exsisting hole and about a quarter of a inch higher drill new one. Mine is working great again. I tried all of those things to try to get the bit out but nothing worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by teebeau69 View Post
                broke a bit off in mine about a year ago. Take some marine weld and cover your exsisting hole and about a quarter of a inch higher drill new one. Mine is working great again. I tried all of those things to try to get the bit out but nothing worked for me.
                I remembered your thread and looked for it... Good idea on the fix!

Somewhat related, when I was having issus with salt build up in that pitot tube, the Yamaha service manager stated they were CAREFULLY opening up that stock hole just a tad.
                Scott

Comment

I am having no success getting the bit out. Just figured the speed tube was in the lower unit oil reservoir and did not want to break into that.

Comment

Finally. Tube is 5/32, my bit was 1\16. Tried everything, but was able to take a small wire that would work into the bits groove and pulled out the broken bit. Just lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bailey View Post
                      Finally. Tube is 5/32, my bit was 1\16. Tried everything, but was able to take a small wire that would work into the bits groove and pulled out the broken bit. Just lucky.
                      Your the first I've read that succeeded ! It can be done! Good job!
                      Scott

Comment

Working...
                      X