Fuel question for Rodbolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel question for Rodbolt

I believe you also have a F150 for personal use.

I'm assuming you have a built in fuel tank in your boat.

Question if I may.

Do you use any additive to stabilize your fuel and if so what brand, etc.

Anything for water (besides a fuel water separator, transom mount and the Yamaha internal filter (just forward of the balancer).

Last question, if you use an additive, how well does it work re preventing varnish / preventing clogged fuel filters, etc?

Thanks..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

my personal F150 is on a 21 cc seapro with a second station.
    built in 65 gallon tank.
    I use startron blue fuel treatment anytime I fill it.
    so far no fuel issues.
    it does have a 10 micron Yamaha water separator in the hull.

Comment

Re: Fuel question for Rodbolt

Scott,

I don't mean to jump on your thread, and God knows Rodbolt has forgotten more about Yamaha outboards than I ever could hope to know. I'll just throw in my two cents worth.

My servicing dealer told me early on if I use Yamaha Ring Free Plus and Startron I'll have no fuel issues, and for the three years I've had this motor
      (2000 OX66 150HP) I've had no fuel issues, and it runs great.

Two years ago when I winterized I used a new (at least to me) product from Starbrite called EZ To Store/EZ to Start. Last year when I pulled my boat out of storage (full tank) it started right up, and the fuel in the tank was indistinguishable from new.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
        Scott,

I don't mean to jump on your thread, and God knows Rodbolt has forgotten more about Yamaha outboards than I ever could hope to know. I'll just throw in my two cents worth.

My servicing dealer told me early on if I use Yamaha Ring Free Plus and Startron I'll have no fuel issues, and for the three years I've had this motor
        (2000 OX66 150HP) I've had no fuel issues, and it runs great.

Two years ago when I winterized I used a new (at least to me) product from Starbrite called EZ To Store/EZ to Start. Last year when I pulled my boat out of storage (full tank) it started right up, and the fuel in the tank was indistinguishable from new.

Jeff
        Its not a jump on the thread at all Jeff. Just curious what a trusted, professional mechainic uses on his own machine. I put a lot of weight into that.

I use Yamaha Ring Free as well 100% of the time and another additive (K100) since 4-2012, (mostly to get rid of moisture in the 50 gallon built in tank from 1997 that's NEVER been removed or drained.

My fuel is now spotless and between the additives and NON-ethonol fuel, ALL the moisture is gone. The fuel looks brand new(its at least 6 months old if not older). The engine has never run better, even for as little as I use it.

It should be noted, I still have ALL the orginal fuel filters in the engine, (short of the main filter-been replaced) in front of the balancer (F150). I was draining the Vapor Separator which is where I initially found the water droplets and some small pieces of crap that got by the filter. Those were drained out, several times, until the fuel coming out was spotless and clear...

That crap, was from a fuel line, AFTER the water separator on the transom that the insides, literally fell apart inside(thank you ethonol) and made its way up past the primer bulb and to the engine initial filter. The 10 micron filter didn't help with the crap as the hose was after that...

And yes, it was marine grade fuel line.
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-29-2014, 10:09 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          That crap, was from a fuel line, AFTER the water separator on the transom that the insides, literally fell apart inside(thank you ethonol) and made its way up past the primer bulb and to the engine initial filter. The 10 micron filter didn't help with the crap as the hose was after that...

And yes, it was marine grade fuel line.
          Marine grade isn't enough anymore. I use this, which came highly recommended. fuel hose, marine fuel hose, EPA standards | SeaStar Solutions Through a search I found a 25 ft box from an obscure online retailer for about a buck and a half per foot.

I used the replaced near new marine grade hose with fuel pump, 12V plug and tank connector to pump the fuel out of the boat and into the car after trips. No fuel, no fuel to go bad. Amazon.com: Airtex E8016S Electric Fuel Pump: Automotive

The cost of a new fuel supply is much less than a failed trip.

Comment

Working...
          X