F150 Oil Plug Gasket - Material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 Oil Plug Gasket - Material?

All, I changed the oil on my Yammy (F150) this weekend, this was the first regular oil change on the motor (after the 10 hour one done by the dealership). The gaskets that were on the oil plug were made of metal. Is this normal? It had two metal washers in there... one copper and one appeared to be either galvanized or stainless. There wasn't any rubber gasket in there.

When I put the plug back in I put them both back on the plug, placing the copper furthest out and the other closest to the drain. Is this correct? Does it matter?

The other interesting thing is that when I tightened them back up, as soon as it was hand tight, that was as tight as it would go... probably because of the metal washers.

Any thoughts? Or am I crazy and this is normal? I just don't want to get 20 miles from the dock and find out I just fried my machine. I ran it for a while on the muffs and everything held tight, so I assume I am good to go. Just wanted to check with the experts.

Thanks!
    Anthony

Yes they do use a metal gasket not rubber, however they normally only have one gasket. The original gasket was an aluminum gasket but the new ones are are copper.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X