2008 Yamaha F40 install the optional rectifier/regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Yamaha F40 install the optional rectifier/regulator

I recently purchased a 2008 Yamaha F40. This is the manual start with a tiller arm. I read in the owner's manual that an optional rectifier/regulator can be installed so one can charge a battery for electronics, lights and electric *****ing motor. So I purchased a kit and got it in the mail the other day.

Well, searching the web had been fruitless and I have not found any instructions how to hook up the thing.

The rectifier/regulator kit has 5 wires. Two idential (green/whites) with single male ends. One (black) ground. And a long bundled pair (one red, one black) to go to the battery, the red having an inline fuse.

When I look at the engine there are two yellow female lines that have the same corresponding plugs that would match the rectifier/regulator. I am thinking that is what I plug it into since those go right to the lighting coil.

On schematic in the service manual, there isn't a corresponding green/whites to hook up the rectifier/regulator to the stator(lighting coil). However, when I look at the manual for the charging system, page 8-28, it shows that two yellow lines(just like on my engine) hook into the regulator/rectifier.

My question is, is the two yellows the correct lines to plug into the green/whites on my regulator? I am just thinking that this is a newer rectifier/regulator and the wire colors don't match, but those are the right ones to hook up.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

By the way. I love the motor! my first 4 stroke. I can ***** for 3 hours, zoom around some and burn a little more than a gallon of gas.

Thanks,
    Matthew

What is the kit part number you bought?

Why did you buy a kit and not the R/R that is used on the F40?

Comment

for many many moons the F40 was manufactured by mercury marine.
      merc used different wire colors than Yamaha.
      merc used yellow for lighting coil.
      easy way to tell if yours is a merc with silver/blue paint?

if the CDI or starter say Motorola or the stator is red plastic.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        for many many moons the F40 was manufactured by mercury marine.
        merc used different wire colors than Yamaha. merc used yellow for lighting coil.
        easy way to tell if yours is a merc with silver/blue paint?

if the CDI or starter say Motorola or the stator is red plastic.
        That would explain why the SM shows yellow wires coming from the lighting coil.

Comment

Try this

Comment

I got the R/R all hooked up. Works great. Pretty happy about with how that went together.

Comment

Good to hear that it is up and running and that all is well.

The drawing I posted on another forum is from Yamaha. You would have thought they would have put a copy in with the kit.

I wish I knew what it was with Yamaha and their data.

Comment

Boscoe,

Thanks again. That diagram was just what I needed. You asked how the engine runs in that "other" forum. I think it is running okay, but I would like it to run better. I have taken apart old Evenrude carbs on a 1978 70hp and successfully changed the jets for higher altitude, cleaned them up and got the engine running better, but this motor makes me much more nervous about changing jets and trying to get it all cleaned up.

I think I will try some carb cleaner in my fuel and run it for another 10-20 hours before doing something more intrusive first.

Comment

Working...
                X