Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing top cowling seal

Hi there,

I own a 115 2T Mod. 1993 and last time I was at the boat and lifted the top cowling, the seal on it just dropped off.
    Any ideas anyone on how to replace it are more than welcome. Is there a glue that I need to purchase and use? I alreday bought a brand new seal but I am not sure hpw to proceed with replacing it.

Thanks

Clean the cowling where the seal goes with denatured alcohol and use automotive weather strip glue. Put it on the seal.

Comment

The weatherstrip adhesive should work pretty well, but a few very small stainless steel screws around the perimeter of the inside of the seal will help it be a permanent repair

Comment

Yamaha never used adhesive nor screws. two people, some select words and the new seal is on.

Comment

Yep, every Yam seal I came across was just a press fit. Not uncommon for a part of it to come loose whenever the upper cowling is removed.

Comment

Excellent guys, thanks for the input. It is really nice to see very experienced members to be active after so many years !!
            Quesion though. If no glue or adhesive is necessary, why does an old seal drop off? And why does a new seal stick on the top cowling?

Comment

Glue it to the lower cowling and use a lite grease around the top of the seal. All good.

Comment

The cowl seal on my 1999 Yamaha C90 is held on by stainless steel staples/clips in the inside perimeter of the cowling , each clip spaced about 2 inches apart....that's why I suggested some type of screw/clip or mechanical fasteners in addition to the glue.....but whatever works if fine....

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                  The cowl seal on my 1999 Yamaha C90 is held on by stainless steel staples/clips in the inside perimeter of the cowling , each clip spaced about 2 inches apart....that's why I suggested some type of screw/clip or mechanical fasteners in addition to the glue.....but whatever works if fine....
                  That is the way that my Mercury 25 HP two stroke was.

My F200 did not use any fasteners of glue. Seal is on the lower cowl. It would partially come loose every time I removed the upper cowl but it was no big deal to simply push it back into place.

Looking at the Yamaha parts book it is interesting IMO to see that some seals attach to the upper cowl and some attach to the lower cowl. I don't see any attach fasteners for either type. But I did not look at every model.
                  Last edited by boscoe99; 06-29-2018, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Maybe that cowl seal rubber material is the type of material that just won't stay stuck to adhesives....sorta like trying to glue to polyethylene or similar material....must give the boys at Yamaha a bit of a headache, manufacturing-wise???

Comment

When making more than 100,000 motors a year, just saving a buck or two in not having to apply an adhesive or use a fastener can add up to big bucks over time.

Most seals stay in place. Most owners might only remove their cowling every few years anyway so in the scheme of things it is not really an issue IMO.

Comment

When you pull the cowl off on the water the seal could be lost forever.

Comment

Then Yamaha can sell you a new seal$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
                            When you pull the cowl off on the water the seal could be lost forever.
                            You got me wondering. Do they float or sink?

Comment

I bet it will sink.

Comment

Working...
                              X