X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what did the specs in the cowling say about the pilot screws setting

you did not answer the question of how you checked timing

Comment

while I applaud the fact you have a meter and a DVA adapter, you have found it is all rather useless without the tool twixt the ear lobes.
      an easy check? B/O to B. B/W to B. your now checking CDI output, should be at least 100V. if it is go chase another rabbit. if it is not post back.
      ign timing never changes on that motor UNLESS somebody puts the skinners on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        what did the specs in the cowling say about the pilot screws setting

you did not answer the question of how you checked timing
        The specs said 2 3/8 - 2 3/4 turns
        I hooked up a timing light with the clamp on no 1 wire and cranked it up and it was 5 dg at idle and 25 dg at about 4000+ RPM. That was as close to WOT as I could get. I did put the #1 piston at TDC and the pointer was at 5 dg.
        Did I check the timing correctly?
        Last edited by grinner2; 06-29-2018, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          while I applaud the fact you have a meter and a DVA adapter, you have found it is all rather useless without the tool twixt the ear lobes.
          an easy check? B/O to B. B/W to B. your now checking CDI output, should be at least 100V. if it is go chase another rabbit. if it is not post back.
          ign timing never changes on that motor UNLESS somebody puts the skinners on it.
          the color of the wires are Blue, Brown, Orange/White, Black/White, Black. My understanding is Yamaha doesn't use industry standards color coded wires like the other manufacturers. Don't know if that is true. No I don't know much about outboards, but my father was a mechanic and he did teach me quite a bit about car engines. Just enough to rebuild my own engines and such.

Comment

I just wanted to make sure you checked it with a light and that it advanced as it should.
            I do not know what the specs are.

maybe Rodbolt or someone else can say if TDC on #1 piston should show up as 5 Deg BTDC or ATDC

I would think it should show up as 0, but I do not know for sure

I believe there should be a procedure in manual saying how to check the pointer

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              I just wanted to make sure you checked it with a light and that it advanced as it should.
              I do not know what the specs are.

maybe Rodbolt or someone else can say if TDC on #1 piston should show up as 5 Deg BTDC or ATDC

I would think it should show up as 0, but I do not know for sure

I believe there should be a procedure in manual saying how to check the pointer
              The timing specs are inside the cowling and the timing is correct.

Comment

Thanks fellas for the help.

Well I found out what was wrong, I didn't adjust the stopper screw on the carb linkage. The motor was advancing the timing with no throttle. I found out what I did wrong when I found a service manual. Also found out I didn't need a timing light to check the timing.
                Last edited by grinner2; 07-01-2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X