Power tilt on 6C5 115 yamaha 1991

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power tilt on 6C5 115 yamaha 1991

I have a tilt problem with my yamaha 6c5 115. The relay switches check out with 0.5 ohms per switch. I have neither up or down but do get the usual click with power. Being completely ignorant of these matters, I have to ask several questions. Could the relays still be bad with continuity ok? If so, how do I test?

How do I check out the tilt motor itself? I would like to replace the darn thing anyway because the rust on it has just about eaten through. I see no leaks though. How does one change the tilt motor on the model. I read somewhaere that it can be done without removing the motor from the transom if the motor is supported. Do you just remove the two bolts on the bottom and the one on the port side?

Oh and a really foolish question. What type of oil should I use in the tilt system. I have not checked to see if it is low as I have been making the assumption that since I have seen no leaks that it should not be low. But maybe I need to back up and check the level of the oil. Might be wishful thinking, but I guess it can't hurt. But I do need to know the type of oil. I so know enough to know that I will have to bleed the system when I add oil by raising and lowering the engine manually.

Hope someone can help. I live very far in the country and trips to town and back get to be expensive, so I'm making every effort to get all my ducks in order before I get the necessary parts.

do you have a digital voltmeter ?

Comment

Digital volt meter

Yes, I have.

Comment

The entire unit will come off the transom bracket if need be. Looking at the parts fisch, you should be able to change out the motor itself without pulling the entire unit, see the below parts fisch:

1991 C115TLRP Yamaha Outboard POWER TRIM + TILT ASSEMBLY Diagram and Parts

The recommended T&T fluid is ATF Dexron II If the fluid level is low, it'll click and not do anything. the fluid level needs to be topped off. To check the level, the engine needs to be all the way up and set on the mechanical tilt mechanism. All the rams should be out fully. On the right side is the fluid reseviour with a threaded plug (part #21). The fluid should be up to the lower threads of that reseviour.
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-24-2014, 08:04 AM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

tilt issue on c115

That was a helpful reply, did not know the rams had to be fully out. Have the motor up-not easy as I'm a small guy and these things are heavy (LOL).

Another probably stupid question . How the heck do I get the rams to extend?
          Haven't yet checked your links, so the answer may be there.

Really appreciate the reply to a novice diyer on outboards. I can usually fix things pretty well but these things for some reason make me a bit nervous.

Thanks Again

Comment

If the relay is clicking when the up and down switches are pushed then you know they are good, next you need to measure the voltage going to the T&T motor when the relays are clicking to make sure the + and the - 12 volts are getting to the motor. That is what the volt meter is for.

You could remove the leads(wires) from relays that run to motor and jump 12 volt+&- to them to see if the motor will turn. Reverse the polarity and the motor should turn in the opposite direction

Comment

Originally posted by Wishfish View Post
              That was a helpful reply, did not know the rams had to be fully out. Have the motor up-not easy as I'm a small guy and these things are heavy (LOL).

Another probably stupid question . How the heck do I get the rams to extend?
              Haven't yet checked your links, so the answer may be there.

Really appreciate the reply to a novice diyer on outboards. I can usually fix things pretty well but these things for some reason make me a bit nervous.

Thanks Again
              There is a release screw (fairly big flat head) receased into the starboard side of the transom bracket (that goes to the assembly) part #49. Yamaha usually casts an arrow in the bracket, that direction is to loosen and release pressure. If you crack that loose, (CC), you can lift the engine up manually, set the mechanical linkage down and that'll support the engine. *Do NOT do this while the boat is in the water..

As stated before, for a fully filled system, all rams should be out. At this point, you can pull the check screw in the reservoir and add fluid as necessary (re-tighten that release pressure screw). If its really low, adding now should should help. Should it work, cycle the engine up and down several times and re-check, top off..

Click on the link, it just shows a break down of the T&T system in detail.

I sent you a PM earlier..
              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-24-2014, 10:47 AM.
              Scott

Comment

OP has not said the T&T motor runs yet,
                so I would not worry about level until they make sure the motor is getting power and turns in both directions

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  OP has not said the T&T motor runs yet,
                  so I would not worry about level until they make sure the motor is getting power and turns in both directions
                  Agreed, but in his first post he asked several questions re fluid, checking it, removing the entire unit, etc. I just responded to those..
                  Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X