Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Practice in between uses? run out of fuel for short storage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Practice in between uses? run out of fuel for short storage?

Wondering what everyone does in between uses during short storage (couple weeks to month) I've been told to run my motor out of fuel so there is no fuel left in the carbs. A mechanic told me this would be okay with my motor but not okay on some motors depending on oil injection type.
    I know running the motor often is best but what does everyone do after a typical days use and in between uses, fuel wise?
    Brian in Portsmouth, Virginia
    2007 Yamaha 50 Two-stroke

For your 50HP 2 stroke best to treat gas with stabilizer like Stabil and drain each carb for lay-ups of several weeks/months....

Comment

you simply cannot run the carb dry.
      cant happen wont happen.
      you can run it down until there is 1/4 inch or so of fuel in the bowl.
      best is to drain them via the drains.
      I run stabilizer in all my stuff, works mostly.

Comment

Yep, a carb float chamber is one of the few places in the fuel system where water/debris can and will accumulate....just like the water closet on the back of a toilet....draining carbs is a very simple, quick and easy preventive maintenance....

Comment

99.9% of all carbs and 99% of all hulls made prior to jan 01 2010 are vented directly to the atmosphere.

if you really wanna see our E fuels in action its very simple.

take fresh gas.
          place about 1 pint in a clear glass jar with no lid.
          place jar on the work bench and observe it for 15 min or so.

you can actually watch it turn milky as it absorbs water from the air.

your fuel bowl, or any other direct vented container, does the EXACT same thing.

God bless our politicians and the US gubbermints marine technician stimulous program.

Comment

Plan on using the carb drains more regularly now. Had no idea until recently. Had to go get a universal joint and extension for my socket to reach the bottom carb bowl drain.
            Otherwise, I will more run it more regularly between uses. I had been using Stabil Marine formula but still had carb issues unfortunately. I'm switching to Gas Shok and Ring Free for fuel treatment. Hoping that will help as well.

Comment

Originally posted by nuthouseinva View Post
              Plan on using the carb drains more regularly now. Had no idea until recently. Had to go get a universal joint and extension for my socket to reach the bottom carb bowl drain.
              Otherwise, I will more run it more regularly between uses. I had been using Stabil Marine formula but still had carb issues unfortunately. I'm switching to Gas Shok and Ring Free for fuel treatment. Hoping that will help as well.
              I have a spare mower engine (for cutting the vacant lot next door). The mower would sit easily for a month without being used. I had to pull the bowl off for cleaning / removing varnish. I put Stabil (not marine formula) in the fuel after re-assembling. The "flat" o-ring for the bowl was distorted and needed replacement however I didn't have time to do it then. About a month later, I got the O-ring and went to install it. The aluminum bowl, already started varnishing up, even with the Stabil...

Prior to re-powering in 2007, my 150 carbed Evinrude 150 HP 2 stroke, V6, kept clogging the carbs. It re-clogged literally two weeks later (no additives at that time). I was informed about "Gas Shok" at the marina and began using it. Never had an issue with the carbs clogging up again after that. And I did NOT drain the carbs. I'm almost out of Gas Shok and haven't used it in the boat for years, see below.

A product I use in conjunction with Yamaha Ring free is K100. Its a stabilizer / fuel system cleaner and water "remover" from the system. You can literally mix it with water and fuel and it will stay mixed (so you can burn it off with time as your engine runs-it will NOT separate). Highly recommended.

My 2006 F150 has never run better.

K100 Fuel Treatment
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

do some googling on K100.
                then make a decision.
                various labs, not internet users, have posted on many of the fuel treatments for or stimulous fuels.

Comment

I know it works, having a 50 gallon tank, 1997, (never been pulled, never been drained) and a gas sipping F150, it'll take me all summer to burn a tank. Between that, Ringfree and Non-ethonol fuel, my fuel has gone from water droplets in the fuel to none, fuel nice and clean.

I'm on my second case(quarts), at least 3 years. Stabil, IME did NOT work for me in a small carb as it developed varnish on the aluminum bowl in about a month. Pitched that product, useless

Should you try mixing equal amounts of fuel, water and the stabilizer of your choice, K100 will NOT separate. Stabil and the others (don't know about "Gas shok" separating) all separated. The K100 stays mixed and you'll literally burn the water off as you run the engine. IMO, I'd rather do that than pull the CC, the floor, a 50 gallon tank, etc, to get rid of any water... The gas Shok, for me did keep the fuel system clean, especially in my old Evinrude, carbed engine..

And no, I don't have any affiliation with the company.
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-08-2016, 07:09 PM.
                  Scott

Comment

Review of Gas Treatment & Fuel Additive Products - Alcohol Content

Here you go read what K100 and others are made of

But if it makes you feel good do what you want
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 03-24-2014, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      Review of Gas Treatment & Fuel Additive Products - Alcohol Content

Here you go read what K100 and others are made of

But if it makes you feel good do what you want
                      It makes my boat run great and thus makes me feel good too!! Saves me on maintainance too!
                      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by nuthouseinva View Post
                        Put a rag under carb so if you drop the plug it doesn't drop down In lower cowling...try using a single open end/closed in wrench so to be careful not to over tighten plugs and strip threads in carb. Tilt motor up slightly to put drain plug lower and drain better....

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                          Put a rag under carb so if you drop the plug it doesn't drop down In lower cowling...try using a single open end/closed in wrench so to be careful not to over tighten plugs and strip threads in carb. Tilt motor up slightly to put drain plug lower and drain better....
                          Thanks for the tips. I can get a wrench on the top two maybe but the bottom one is not possible without a universal joint on a socket. I thought about that when testing it out Saturday. Seemed hard to feel the tightness with the universal in line. certainly dont want to strip it out.

Comment

I rigged a $26 12 volt fuel pump from Rock Auto with fuel line, 12V plug on 18 gauge wire and tank fitting. After every trip with a break of a week between, I pump the fuel into my car, dump the water separating filter, drain the bowls and turn the topside tank upside down with the cap off.

I can't get to the water from my house without passing a gas station. I figure no gas in the boat means no gas to go bad.

I also dump the fuel out of my chainsaw, weed whacker, etc. Cheap insurance.

Comment

Working...
                            X