Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you remove tilt piston on 2005 F250?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you remove tilt piston on 2005 F250?

First off, I would like to say hello and I'm excited to find this forum. That said, I am replacing the main tilt piston on my engine. I removed the entire assembly and have on the bench. I removed the retaining ring and trying to get the pin out that the piston pivots on. It's not wanting to budge and I don't want to break something.

Am I missing something or should I put it in a press to push the pin out?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Looking at the parts fisch, you just have the one retainer (which you already removed). I would soak it some with some penetrating oil and gently tap it. The main horizontal shaft may have seized up with the two outer bushings (parts #24).

2005 F250TURD Yamaha Outboard POWER TRIM & TILT ASSY 1 Diagram and Parts

When re-assembling, make sure you use Yamaha waterproof marine grease..
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 03-21-2014, 06:03 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks. I sprayed some on earlier and will try to extract it tomorrow.

Comment

Well, it's time to order some new parts from boats.net...

Trying to press the shaft out, I broke the aluminum casting that holds everything together. From what I can gather, that part is only available if you buy the whole assembly.

Comment

Why were you trying to remove the cylinder from the housing instead of simply sliding the piston out of the cylinder?

You learned an expensive lesson but that is what we do going through life.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            Why were you trying to remove the cylinder from the housing instead of simply sliding the piston out of the cylinder?

You learned an expensive lesson but that is what we do going through life.
            A few weeks ago I bought a new power tilt assy. from this site (69J-43840-01-00) because my old one was leaking like a sieve. Have to knock the pin out to replace the old one.

Comment

That sucks....
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
              X