Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Electric Start to old (but unused) P450

Hi,

I inherited this old P450 from a family friend and it only has a few hours on it. From googling I think it is a 25 hp and read somewhere that this model came in an electric start / remote steering version. I do see holes in the cowling that are plugged but could be where the wires and controls run. But there is no geared flywheel, starter or relay or anything. I'm hoping to get the parts from a wrecker and do the conversion myself. Anybody know what year(s) this engine might be and what year(s) of engines I should look for to salvage the electric starter parts? I know if I buy them new it'll be $1000 so probably not worth it, but my partner isn't strong enough to pull start this engine which is why I want the electric start (when I got it I cleaned the carb and plugs and it started on the 3rd pull - I think the one and only time it ran was the 80's or earlier)

Looks to be in mint condition, as it should be if never used. Have you considered selling it and buying something that would work better for you?

Comment

you have any model and or serial #s

Comment

As far as I can tell the serial # is S21000 and engine number (if that is a thing) is #6480. And I also found a number stamped on a plate on the transom bracket that is 08588

Yeah, maybe I should sell it and just by a modern 25hp with electric start. I just figured I might be able to go the retrofit route and do it for $200 - $300 vs. selling the motor for $1000 and buying a newer one for $3000 - $4000

Comment

take a picture of the plate and other id info and post to this thread.
          maybe boscoe will be able to come up with a year

Comment

A P450 (25 HP) is from circa 1971. 13 years before Yamaha started selling outboard motors here in the US.

The odds are finding parts to convert that motor to electric start are those of the proverbial snowball in hell.

That model was a power house in its time.

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/jp/s...ews_E_1971.pdf

A collector of antique outboard motors somewhere would love to have that motor for his collection. Might be able to get enough to buy a new electric start later year model.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              A P450 (25 HP) is from circa 1971. 13 years before Yamaha started selling outboard motors here in the US.

The odds are finding parts to convert that motor to electric start are those of the proverbial snowball in hell.

A collector of antique outboard motors somewhere would love to have that motor for his collection. Might be able to get enough to buy a new electric start later year model.

My thoughts too.....

Comment

even buying the parts used you will most likely plunk out at least one boat unit(1000 bucks). have you seen what Yamaha sells/sold those parts for????
                you may look into buying parts such as fuel pump kits and water pump kits and lower unit seals before plunking down any money on converting it.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  even buying the parts used you will most likely plunk out at least one boat unit(1000 bucks). have you seen what Yamaha sells/sold those parts for????
                  you may look into buying parts such as fuel pump kits and water pump kits and lower unit seals before plunking down any money on converting it.
                  Great advice guys! You definitely made me reassess my plan and realize in the long run (and probably short too) it's better to sell this and buy a motor that's going to work for us without endless faffing around. I like tinkering and adapting stuff but this is not the right place to spend those efforts.

I'll put it on ebay and craigslist (Victoria BC). Any other suggestions on where I might advertise it and what a fair price would be? Thanks again.

Comment

do some research on what those old things sell for .
                    might find an antique motor forum maybe.

I do not think e bay and craigslist will not get the proper people

Comment

https://www.aomci.org/

http://www.ahlstrandmarine.com/outboard-museum-history/outboard-museum-history-photos

Comment

let us know how it goes,
                        interested in what you find out about what it is worth

Comment

Working...
                        X