Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can I find a schematic/ parts diagram for a 89 water pump replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I find a schematic/ parts diagram for a 89 water pump replacement?

Hi I have a 1989 30hp outboard that is not peeing, I would like to find out how to tear it down and inspect the impeller but I dont know where to begin. the whole water pump was overhauled 1 yr ago. I suspect I have shell or sand jammed in the impeller.

redspot,
    You should be able to view an exploded diagram of your water pump in the online catalog above for boats.net.
    Just because the water pump pilot hole is not "peeing" does not mean the pump is bad. Debris quite often plugs up the nipple that the pilot hose is connected to. Disconnect the hose from the nipple that snaps into the lower cowling and clean out the nipple with small diameter wire.
    Tape the hose over the lower cowling so that it points downward and try running the outboard with the earmuffs and see if you get a stream of water out the hose.
    If you are not getting an overheat alarm, or other signs of overheating, then the hose/nipple probably is just plugged up.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Ken Thanks for the input. I did have shell jamed in the system but it was at the 90 degree fitting that connects the rubber hose to the engine. (sorry for my poor motor language)

I ended up removing the head, thermostat, and other parts which were totally packed with sand and debirs. It was december when I had the overheating issue so there were tons of organic rotting "stuff" in there as well.

Maybe you can help me out with this as well......I marked the gear shift linkage when I removed the lower unit to ensure I adjusted it properly when I reinstalled it. Well lets just say I almost killed a few folks at the ramp when the boat fired up in Forward........I selected netural but my linkage was off. Well I tried readjusting several times but I eventually ran out of therads for the nuts.

To make a long story short I removed the lower unit again to make sure I didnt bend something down there, I pulled up on the gear linkage and it seemed to pop out of its place

It wont go back!!!!!!! How can I get it back ?

I know this is hard to follow, I really dont know all the terminology

Comment

redspot,
        Wish I could help you - I just looked at the diagram for '89 30 hp shift cam - can't make much sense of it. Try looking at it yourself to see if that will help you. Maybe someone more familiar with your motor will chime in here soon.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

The nut that connects the upper shift shaft to lower shift shaft is left hand thread on top and right hand thread on bottom so if you are turning nut up and down to adjust you are not doing anything. Drop the lower unit back down set the lower unit and shifter on engine in neutral, push the lower unit back up and as the shift shafts meet thread the connecting nut down on lower shift shaft.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
          X