Additional fuel filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional fuel filters

On a carbed 2 stroke 40hp with a portable tank, are additional fuel filters needed? Could they restrict fuel flow?

What about a water separator filter like Racor? Do they also filter out sediment in addition to separating water?

thanks

Yes, install a fuel/water seperater type cartridge filter on the inside of the transom....Walmart/Atwood unit works great for about $25.....best fuel system preventive maintenance item you can install. These filters remove darn near everything including water, dirt, rust, rubber particles from tank or fuel lines. Also, learn to drain carb float chambers before any lengthy motor lay-ups of several weeks or months.

Comment

a "water separator" filter has a pleated paper filter element -

traditionally, carburated engines used a filter rated for ~ 21 microns
      (the smallest size of particle that is removed)
      and EFI engines a "tighter" filtration of 10 micron

the "water separation" occurs because as water droplets enter
      they are already "separate" - "oil and water don't mix" -
      they fall to the bottom of the canister rather than pass through the filter paper

here is what the inside of a "water separator filter" looks like:

Comment

Better yet (IMO), a "see thru" combo filter / separator.

You can see ANY water thru the base of the filter and literally drain it with the turn of the bottom drain screw..

Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thank you for the insight, great pictures! I will install one. Do the racor mounts hold up well to the salt?
          Last edited by grouper242; 06-19-2018, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by grouper242 View Post
            Do the racor mounts hold up well to the salt?
            Racor has achieved, and maintains, brand recognition for their disposable elements;
            I don't know, and don't care, whether or not they are objectively ''better" than generic.

for the filter "head" head however -
            which is just a chunk of metal to hold the disposable part -

any other brand head, made of stainless steel, is going to far outlast
            the powder coated pot-metal Racor
            which will eventually flake and corrode

Sierra, Marpac - or if you insist on a "name brand" - Yamaha

Comment

Thank you for the insight, great pictures! I will install one. Do the racor mounts hold up well to the salt?
              Plus 1 re the stainless steel mounts lasting the longest.

With that said, my pictured mount (boat) is used in brackish / salt water use. The boat is washed religiously after every use.

The original paint on the mount peeled and typical aluminum corrosion began.

I pulled the unit off, sanded / wire brushed all surfaces and re-painted with Rustoleum. That pictured mount is about 20 years old...(Installed after I got the boat in 1997).
              Scott

Comment

Fairdeal- did you spring for stainless???

Hmm may have a new project. My parts are getting a little furry.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                  Fairdeal- did you spring for stainless???
                  didn't have to - inherited it from previous owner;
                  a little surface discoloration but it will last forever,
                  despite being installed inches from the batteries - a nasty environment

but I could easily spring for this:

http://www.boatstoreusa.com/fuel-tan...racket-ss-3-8/

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

didn't have to - inherited it from previous owner;
                    a little surface discoloration but it will last forever,
                    despite being installed inches from the batteries - a nasty environment

but I could easily spring for this:

http://www.boatstoreusa.com/fuel-tan...racket-ss-3-8/

I like me some stainless. And titanium. I considered a titanium lifting eye for the bow. But then I worried it may not get along with the 316 stainless hardware it rested on. Anyhow, the new bow lifting eye is now rated for 7500 lbs. Boat only weighs 3200.

Comment

OP how big of a portable tank are you using?
                      how often do you use the boat?
                      and how do you store the tank between uses.
                      My C40 does not have a extra filter and I have not had problems
                      but then I pull the 6 gal tank and store in a garage out of the sun and rain.
                      and I use fairly often.
                      plus the turn over of fuel is often.

if there happens to be any water in the onboard filter it is easy to dump the whole tank and clean/dry it before putting fresh gas in

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        OP how big of a portable tank are you using?
                        how often do you use the boat?
                        and how do you store the tank between uses.
                        My C40 does not have a extra filter and I have not had problems
                        but then I pull the 6 gal tank and store in a garage out of the sun and rain.
                        and I use fairly often.
                        plus the turn over of fuel is often.

if there happens to be any water in the onboard filter it is easy to dump the whole tank and clean/dry it before putting fresh gas in
                        I tend to agree with you Yam on this. Almost everyone I know run smaller engines 60hp and down with portable 5 gallon tanks....no extra filters.

Only in last few years many are giving up their two strokes and going to four strokes and now going to transom mount filters.

But it can't hurt to have more filtration I suppose...

Comment

I can see if there is a big tank or a difficulty in draining and cleaning tank to get all of the water/ trash out , then a extra filter would make sense but not if that is the case

Comment

It's a 6gal portable tank, so i suppose it's not really needed, I just thought why not to avoid any potential trouble. I use it fairly often so the fuel never has a chance to go bad. This is the yamaha enduro 40, it is a 2 cylinder 1 carb engine with pull start.

The tank is removed from the boat to prevent theft.
                            Last edited by grouper242; 06-20-2018, 08:35 PM.

Comment

It's a 6gal portable tank, so i suppose it's not really needed, I just thought why not to avoid any potential trouble. I use it fairly often so the fuel never has a chance to go bad. This is the yamaha enduro 40, it is a 2 cylinder 1 carb engine with pull start.

The tank is removed from the boat to prevent theft.
                              Likely a small filter in the pick up inside the portable tank too.

I'd just check it occasionally, blow out with air if necessary, and skip the additional filters..
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X