Pitot tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitot tube

When my speedo pick up on the lower unit gets clogged sometimes the blockage is able to be cleared with wire but on occasion it requires a drill bit. I just turn it in by hand to remove the blockage and it comes free. This time I managed to break off a small section of the drill bit with nothing protruding to allow me to recover it, so had to push it in to clear the blockage. Is there any change of this small piece of metal making its way up to the gauge and causing issues ?

probably not, it is a 90 deg. turn going up the gear case, Is there a chance you can drop the lower unit and blow it back out with compressed air..

Comment

Originally posted by JONSNELL View Post
      When my speedo pick up on the lower unit gets clogged sometimes the blockage is able to be cleared with wire but on occasion it requires a drill bit. I just turn it in by hand to remove the blockage and it comes free. This time I managed to break off a small section of the drill bit with nothing protruding to allow me to recover it, so had to push it in to clear the blockage. Is there any change of this small piece of metal making its way up to the gauge and causing issues ?
      My F150 would clog up with salt water (apparently a common occurance).

There should be a hose connector about 2 feet from the engine that connects to another hose (that goes up to the helm for the speedometer). If you disconnect it right there, you can blow some air from the top down without pulling the LU. You can also use water if you find a funnel small enough and use a garden hose with nozzle.

Once you get that piece out, to keep clogging later, during my normal cleaning (after a ride), I have a piece of an old clothes washer hose I cut a sharp "V" in the end.

It's then attached to a hand held garden hose nozzle. Stick that "V" over the the pitot hole, blow fresh water into it, release and it'll flush any crap, salt water out. You might see 35 MPH on your speedometer (should you turn the key on).

To further clean out that long hose to the helm, I hooked up a "T" (in the console) which goes to a shrader valve. A small 12 volt air compressor attached to the shrader valve, when turned on, then blows ALL liquid that may be in that line. I was surprised how much water was up in that line that didn't drain.

Now, absolutly no issues, pitot tube / speedometer reads down to 4 MPH without issue..
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
      X