raising up the outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raising up the outboard

Ok, I have a 20 inch transom but the 200 hp outboard is 25 inches. I'm fabricating an aluminum bracket to raise the motor. I've read and some suggested that when motor is trimmed all the way down, the cavitation should be level with the keel. And some say 1/2 inch, or 1 inch above keel. Before I start cutting up the 3/8 aluminum plate and start welding, I really appreciate all your input as what the boat manufacturers are doing, and your personal take. The 19' grady white is a bit heavy so I'm leaning on raising the motor 1 inch above keel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi, I have played with raising the motor , just as you are doing. I read that the cavation plate should be even with the bottom, so that is what I did. I had very good results. I think that higher than that is mostly for racing and high performance applications. I hope this helps, Dennis

Comment

I am running a 1997 80 hp on a 20' pontoon. I thought I would raise the prop up (engine) between the logs to avoid hitting bottom which is a recurring problem here in Florida. Well it worked but, when running towards full open for about 5 minutes or more the over temp alarm went off! Aparently she was sucking too much air. Only fix was to lower the engine. I found that the cavitaion plate needed to be level with the bottom of the logs.

Comment

here's the update. I made a 6 inch u bracket that slid on top of the transom. Test ran today and it's amazing. At WOT, it went to 5200 rpm. Anyone know what's the maximum rpm for 1990 200hp 2stroke? I ran the engine for 2 hours and very satisfy with the result.

Comment

my 1990`s used to run up to 6200 but safely 5500-5800.

Comment

Working...
          X