Boscoe or Rodbolt 704 yamaha throttle control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boscoe or Rodbolt 704 yamaha throttle control

Boscoe or Rodbolt on my 2004 F115tlrc Hurricane has a 704 Yamaha throttle control. Has the round button on the side to release throttle to engage throttle if running on muffs or in tank to increase RPM without engaging gears, but my question is should I be able to push the throttle lever into forward with the engine not running and move to full open position like you can if the engine is running? Never tried it but the one on this boat won't move to forward without the engine running or the neutral button depressed? Or is the throttle cable maybe hanging up somewhere? If the boat is under way the throttle is not tight or hard to push to full open.
    Dennis
    Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Waiting on the other two I decided to walk out and try my 704. Neutral button depressed, not running, able to move throttle to WOT. Is that what you are asking????

Comment

If the stars and the moon are in alignment it can be done. It is designed to only be done when the motor is running. As normal practice I would not do it. Stuff can get bent.

The shift happens before the throttle can happen. Depending upon where the dog clutch is, the shift might not happen.
      Last edited by boscoe99; 06-11-2018, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        If the stars and the moon are in alignment it can be done. It is designed to only be done when the motor is running. As normal practice I would not do it. Stuff can get bent.

The shift happens before the throttle can happen. Depending upon where the dog clutch is, the shift might not happen.
        With the neutral button depressed????

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

With the neutral button depressed????
          Your correct, from the first post: " increase RPM without engaging gears" , AKA neutral.

He's not looking to shift into gear W/O the engine running, IE, LU gears don't have to be aligned, no forcing anything
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

If the button is pressed the shift mechanism is disengaged. The throttle can be advanced.

If the button is not pressed the motor may or may not shift into gear. If it does the throttle can be advanced. If it does not shift into gear the throttle can't be advanced. In the latter case if one tries to force it, it may go into gear or damage could happen.

Comment

difficult to understand exactly what the "question" is -

perhaps the OP would appreciate a youtube explaining how an outboard "shifts"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ib2OkytCBs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYPuB9nmS8E&t=53s

Comment

"my question is should I be able to push the throttle lever into forward with the engine not running and move to full open position like you can if the engine is running?"

I read his question as if the neutral button is not being pressed. Could be wrong. Again. Happened once before.

Comment

Thanks Boscoe I was asking about if the neutral button is not depressed and the engine not running. I thought you should not be able to move the throttle in that case
                  Dennis
                  Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

That is the way I understood it too Boscoe.
                    and yes I changed out a twisted shift shaft and bent pin thru prop shaft I am sure from someone trying to force my brothers C60 in to gear without it running. he was the 3rd owner and someone tried adjusting the shift cable to make up for the misalignment after the fact. I caught it when changing out water pump, and setting shift cable back to where it should have been.

But as Boscoe said if the dogs line up you can, there is nothing in the con*****er that keeps it from happening except for it has to go into gear 1st before throttle can move. shift cable not moving far enough in con*****er will not let throttle move ( maybe you can say the con*****er keeps it from happening after all)
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 06-12-2018, 08:20 AM.

Comment

anytime you move the shift you either move the drive shaft or prop shaft or you may get to support your local tech.

Comment

Working...
                      X