Anode Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anode Selection

I have a aluminum fishing boat, 175 VMax HPDI and T9.9. I fish 70% freshwater, 20% saltwater and 10% brackish/estuary water. The boat is 2 years old and I have the original anodes on. I have a couple questions.

1.) Are all the anodes on both motors zinc?
    2.) If so, would I be better off running aluminum or Navalloy anodes?

Thanks
    Sean

Anyone? Someone at Yamaha has to have some input why most all other manufacturers going with Aluminum Alloy anodes, but you guys have stuck with Zinc.

Comment

This is not Yamaha, it is a forum.
      If you would like to contact Yamaha USA I am sure someone can give you a phone #, or just head on over to your local Yamaha dealer and talk to them

Comment

Most of the Yamaha anodes that I am familiar with are made from an aluminum alloy.

Yamaha uses aluminum as they feel that it provides the best all around corrosion protection.

My belief is that you would be best served by using Yamaha anodes. Particularly if the motor is still under warranty or it has a YES contract.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch184 View Post
          I have a aluminum fishing boat, 175 VMax HPDI and T9.9. I fish 70% freshwater, 20% saltwater and 10% brackish/estuary water. The boat is 2 years old and I have the original anodes on. I have a couple questions.

1.) Are all the anodes on both motors zinc?
          2.) If so, would I be better off running aluminum or Navalloy anodes?

Thanks
          Sean
          Please note that I am NOT an expert...

As for your first question, from what I've read and was told by various boat folks, the location of where you purchased your boat will determine the type of anodes installed. A dealer in Florida will purchase engines with zinc anodes where someone in the fresh water states will most likely come with magnesium anodes. Zinc is actually the most common found. Bad thing about using zinc in fresh water is that it will eventually form a coating that will insulate it's self from the metal it's protecting.

My boat had Magnesium anodes and we took it to the Florida Keys. Within 3 weeks the anodes looked like swiss cheese. I now switch out my anodes depending upon what kind of water I launch in.

Salt water - Zinc
          Brackish water - Aluminum or Zinc
          Fresh - Magnesium

This site might help you: Anode FAQs

Hope this helps.
          Nu
          Make: Bennington - Model: 20SLi - Engine: Yamaha F70
          Name: Cirrhosis of River

Comment

Working...
          X