2005 Yamaha F40TLRD Starter/Relay issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Yamaha F40TLRD Starter/Relay issue

When I turn the key, sometimes I only get a click (similar to a solenoid going out on a lawnmower), it will click once each time I turn the key. Sometimes, the starter turns over like normal, but only about 1 out of 7 times. Sometimes, if you hold the key after it clicks, the starter will turn over. Brand new battery. All cables/connections are tight, and no corrosion. I noticed the relay to be warm. I know battery cables with loose connections can get hot. Is there any way to tell if the relay or the starter is the problem ? Thanks in advance.

If you can get a meter at the positive side of the side of the starter or corresponding relay terminal (When it 's happening), a bad relay will show very low voltage (bad contacts inside the relay-12 volts not passing thru).

Not un-common for the starter relay to wear out.

Below's a pic of my old starter relay opened up. You can clearly see the arced up contacts (which DON'T pass all the current thru to the starter):

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

is this the relay you are referring to?

if so - I assume that you are hearing IT click?

I would make my decision buy "jumping" the two big leads
      with an appropriate piece of metal - screwdriver, pliers, U-shaped piece of big wire
      if the starter reliably cranked when I jumped the relay,
      I would rule out the starter.

I might then try manually activating the relay -
      I suspect one of the small terminals is connected to ground -
      I would use a test lead to apply 12v+ to the other small terminal -
      expecting "a good relay" to immediately make the starter run.

If I just got clicking - or erratic response - I would suspect the relay is bad
      (likely bad contacts internally)

the relay is of course available from the forum sponsor

https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha/65W-81941-00-00

Comment

voltage drop test should show if and where a high resistance element is.
        Relay would be my guess if cables and connections are good

Comment

finally got a chance to look at the boat this evening. Taking the advice posted here, with the key in the on position, used a screwdriver to jump the relay, but got no response. Not even a spark, no noise out of the starter. Any other ideas?

Comment

using a volt meter will tell if and where a bad connection is located

Comment

Originally posted by Rebelyelp View Post
              finally got a chance to look at the boat this evening. Taking the advice posted here, with the key in the on position, used a screwdriver to jump the relay, but got no response. Not even a spark, no noise out of the starter. Any other ideas?
              Besides the above post, ground your NEW battery (negative) to the block (or housing to the starter).

Now, attach the positive from the battery DIRECT to the starter terminal...

Does the starter turn over NOW? (I'm trying to rule out the starter itself). It should...
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
              X