Possible Overheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Overheat

I took my 2006 20" Robalo w/f150 Yamaha out on Saturday and when we got back I had the boy disconnect the hose from the flush port when I got done running my salt away through the cooling sys. He never reconnected the line and when I took the boat out the next day I never even noticed it during my checks. At idle the motor was pissing and honestly after going out 12 miles and back i never noticed an issue. So my question is, before I take her out again I want to change all the fluids upper and lower, its almost due anyway, outside that what should I do and what should I be looking for if the engine possibly got hot? I am a novice in the outboard world so any help would be truly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

leaving the flush hose off on that engine wont hurt a thing, granted you are loosing a little pressure, but the water pump supplies more than enough to compensate. the hose is to small to make much of a difference, not a good practice, but it is ok..

Comment

You should be ashamed of yourself. Blaming it on the boy I mean. But, I do understand, given all of the stuff that my boy Boscoe (the dog) takes the hits for when things don't go right. As Sequoiha notes, you did not hurt a thing. If the motor had heated up you would have heard the alarm.

Speaking of the disconnected flush fitting, it can also be used for another purpose. If the boat does not have a water pressure gauge installed, go to Home Depot/Lowes and get the type of test gauge that goes onto a spigot to test a home water systems pressure. Screw it onto the flush fitting and mount it somewhere convenient. You can't go far given the length of the hose. Or, have someone hold it for the test. Start and run the motor. You can check the water pressure of the water pump using that gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by RaisinCain View Post
        I took my 2006 20" Robalo w/f150 Yamaha out on Saturday and when we got back I had the boy disconnect the hose from the flush port when I got done running my salt away through the cooling sys. He never reconnected the line and when I took the boat out the next day I never even noticed it during my checks. At idle the motor was pissing and honestly after going out 12 miles and back i never noticed an issue. So my question is, before I take her out again I want to change all the fluids upper and lower, its almost due anyway, outside that what should I do and what should I be looking for if the engine possibly got hot? I am a novice in the outboard world so any help would be truly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I relayed this to a friend with twin F150's as he runs his engines cooling with the hose attached to the "garden hose connector" (hoping he has not caused cooling issues)
        Yamaha states per manual.... below

Manual: "garden hose connector" do and don'ts

Yamaha Techs may be able to add to this....hope this helps !

Comment

like you were told, its not reccomemned but I have seen many many left off and run 60+ miles with no problems.

you also see various literature saying NOT to run the motor on that flush hose.
          on an F150 if you use ear muffs overheat is almost assured.
          I use the flush port to idle them.

Comment

A helpful outboard coolant device !

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Speaking of the disconnected flush fitting, it can also be used for another purpose. If the boat does not have a water pressure gauge installed, go to Home Depot/Lowes and get the type of test gauge that goes onto a spigot to test a home water systems pressure. Screw it onto the flush fitting and mount it somewhere convenient. You can't go far given the length of the hose. Or, have someone hold it for the test. Start and run the motor. You can check the water pressure of the water pump using that gauge.
              You could add a length of garden hose and duct tape it to your helm for remote viewing. Good idea Boscoe! What pressure range are we expecting?

I like that water bag design pictured above.

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
              you also see various literature saying NOT to run the motor on that flush hose.
              on an F150 if you use ear muffs overheat is almost assured.
              I use the flush port to idle them.
              Originally posted by theflats View Post
              I relayed this to a friend with twin F150's as he runs his engines cooling with the hose attached to the "garden hose connector" (hoping he has not caused cooling issues)
              My prior concern regarding this is that the impeller is possibly not being water lubricated. Will enough water backfeed to stop the impeller friction from heating and transferring rubber to the cup?
              If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Originally posted by FabricGATOR View Post
                You could add a length of garden hose and duct tape it to your helm for remote viewing. Good idea Boscoe! What pressure range are we expecting?

I like that water bag design pictured above.

My prior concern regarding this is that the impeller is possibly not being water lubricated. Will enough water backfeed to stop the impeller friction from heating and transferring rubber to the cup?
                It is something I have not personally used, and have not seen similar devices equipped with wheels. Water is constantly fed during use with prop removed !

Comment

Working...
                X