Stripped oil drain plug threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped oil drain plug threads

Changed the motor oil on my 2004 F-150 yesterday and had my stupid hat on. Over torqued the drain plug and stripped the threads. Does anyone know of a slightly larger size plug that I could use or is heli coil the way to go? Thanks in advance for the advice.

seems like a very common problem, as far as I know there is no miracle fix, a new plug and a helicoil, or a new sump is the only true solution.

Comment

and do not drain it again, suck the oil out of the dip stick and that will never happen again

Comment

There must be millions of drain plugs removed every week, and not many get stripped, if it is so weak, or the manual does not specify some sort of torque settings then there is something wrong.

Comment

carefully heli coil it and DO NOT remove it again.
          I NEVER remove it for maint.
          yes the manual has a torque spec yes the steel plug tends to gall on the AL.
          yes sometimes it pulls the threads on removal or installation.
          its why I suck the oil out not drain it.
          less mess and NO chance of stripped threads.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
            carefully heli coil it and DO NOT remove it again.
            I NEVER remove it for maint.
            yes the manual has a torque spec yes the steel plug tends to gall on the AL.
            yes sometimes it pulls the threads on removal or installation.
            its why I suck the oil out not drain it.
            less mess and NO chance of stripped threads.
            Slightly off topic, but for the average boater, without spending a fortune, what pump (brand, model) would YOU recommend for oil changes?

I'm sure you have a HD Yamaha /commercial unit in the shop, but for the average Joe...

Thanks..

BTW, Yamaha motorcycles use the same size drain plug in 99% of thier motorcycles. The torque setting is a very high 30 ft lbs. From the factory, their known to be MUCH tighter than that. I stop just after snug for both the outboard and bike...
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

the extractor unit I have is a slurrrper, no longer made.
              and it was about 400 dollars.
              cheaper units are available.
              some less than 40 bucks.

Comment

Stripped threads

I ran into stripped threads a couple years ago on a 2005 F225. I noticed only front half of threaded hole was stripped as the standard threaded plug only goes halfway in the hole. I got a bolt of the same spec only about a half inch longer so back half of threads engaged. Worked great. Chased the hole first though with tap to make sure threads were clean. Once fixed I thought it wise (as stated above) to not even screw with it again and pump oil out through dipstick tube. Now have to do same fix on a 2005 F200 that stripped last night. My only problem is finding a pump that works well. Everything I buy is junk and will not pull oil out very well. Can anyone recommend a pump that works well for pulling oil out dipstick hole?

Comment

Mityvac....pump it 10x and it works like a charm...even with cold oil. No mess!!..$80

Comment

Working...
                  X