1992 150 vpro slow under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 150 vpro slow under load

I have a 1992 prov 150. Lately it has a hard time getting on a plane, and it only runs about 30 mph. It is mounted to an 18' flats boat 2100lbs it used to run alot faster. One time the motor overheat alarm started sounding then stopped . Every since then it labors to get out of the hole and it doesnt run at top rpms. I installed new plugs (no help) and all plugs are firing. Old plugs had even wear, mild fouling. Head gasket apears to be in good shape. The overheat alarm might have been a coincidence I dont know. Anybody have an idea what is the matter with my 150.

Check the compression to see if there is piston damage or blown head gasket. If ok then check fuel system, fuel pumps for ruptured diaphragm and carbs.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Billy,
      If you get past the compression test, you might want to do a shock treatment with SeaFoam or RingFree. You could just have clogged up high speed jets.
      If the shock treatment does not work, then remove the jets and squirt some Berryman's Chemtool into the orifices.
      If that doesn't help, and the motor has been allowed to set up for more than a month w/o being run, then I would remove the carbs, teardown, clean, and do a carb kit install.
      You could also have a weak fuel pump - when you go full throttle, have someone pump the primer bulb to see if the motor picks up. If it does, then you probably have a weak pump.
      If it has been at least three years since last water pump repair, it needs to be done.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

I reved up the motor whille spraying seafom (Deep Creep) in each carb and choked it until it almost stalled. It cleaned the carbs out beautifully. the motor runs like a champ now

Comment

Working...
        X