No announcement yet.

F20 Trim Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're (not the op), just looking at a parts fisch. I see no reason why you can't move the bolts to another position. Should be in the owners manual.

Kinda of a PIA if the tilt unit has to be removed to do so...
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by cdublu11 View Post
      It looks like part 35,36,37. These 2 bolts replace the pin that would go through as the hyd ram needs to sit in the space. The motor rests on the bolts when fully lowered, its just that i want to lower it 1 more notch.
      Boscoe the op says the motor rests on those bolts, but I am not sure if panasonic is looking at a motor, but I believe he is

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

Boscoe the op says the motor rests on those bolts, but I am not sure if panasonic is looking at a motor, but I believe he is
        I see now that the OP says that the swivel bracket does contact the head of the bolts.

Am now wondering where the position of the tilt piston is relative to the tilt cylinder. Does it appear that the piston can retract further into the cylinder? If so, then move the bolts and see what happens. If not, then moving the bolts should not allow the motor to go any lower anyway.

I don't think Yamaha ever intended for the bolts to be moved from one hole to another hole on the power tilt model. No other motor with power tilt or power trim and tilt does this. That I can think of anyway. Completely different design in the power tilt model. Different swivel bracket and different clamp bracket.

There is mention in the owner's manual of moving the tilt rod/tilt pin to adjust the minimum trim angle of the motor for the manual tilt model. There is no mention of any adjustment for the power tilt model. I think it is already set as low as Yamaha intended it to go.

Just like the manual model it will only go so low. It is what it is. What is someone had a porpoising problem with the manual tilt model in the lowest setting? What would be the recommendation? To modify the structure of the motor?

Comment

tilt.JPG

Comment

Ok I am confused now. I am looking a 2016 F20 service manual with power tilt. I have seen this on a F15 somewhere along the line but never studied it closely.

I assumed (bad thing to do) that you should be able to adjust your all the way down trim (as on a manual tilt with the pin) by moving the stop bolts as shown the parts manual.

As Boscoe pointed out the ram may not be able to go any further or maybe the something else is going to hit or bind up...I don't know.

Looking at the above page from the service manual on Arrow A...view A, top right hand corner.

Again I will "assume" that if you have a Long shaft transom, you would have 4 holes to chose from as your lowest stop, with one blanked off by a plug #16.

And if you have a short shaft transom, you only have three holes to chose from and the others two are blanked off with plugs #16.

Anybody concur wit that??

Comment

IMO the SM is not offering the use of the different holes. That is, there is no choice. One hole and one hole only to be used. It is specifying (1) which hole is to have the bolt installed in and (2) which holes are to have the plugs installed in. But this is really just a wild eyed guess.

Question I have is why are the plugs needed? Why is only one plug needed in the L model whereas two plugs are needed in the S model? Why do some holes need plugs and others don't? What do the plugs do? I know Yamaha likes to use 5 parts when 3 parts will work but this is ridiculous IMO.

I suspect that the one thing that we can really agree on is that Yamaha data is crap data.
              Last edited by boscoe99; 06-01-2018, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                IMO the SM is not offering the use of the different holes. That is, there is no choice. One hole and one hole only to be used. It is specifying (1) which hole is to have the bolt installed in and (2) which holes are to have the plugs installed in. But this is really just a wild eyed guess.

Question I have is why are the plugs needed? Why is only one plug needed in the L model whereas two plugs are needed in the S model? Why do some holes need plugs and others don't? What do the plugs do? I know Yamaha likes to use 5 parts when 3 parts will work but this is ridiculous IMO.

I suspect that the one thing that we can really agree on is that Yamaha data is crap data.
                I tend to agree with you a bit...lol

But if you are NOT to move the stops, why wouldn't there be blanking plugs in "all' the other holes... but only in some as the diagram shows.? I don't know and am only trying to use logic to figure that out.

How are you supposed to adjust your all the way down trim if needed?

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                  How are you supposed to adjust your all the way down trim if needed?
                  When there is no more down available then there is no more down available. Take an F70, F150, F200, F300, F350 for instance. Where down is down and that is all that there is.

If there is a porpoising problem when the motor if fully down there are other things to be done. Move weight forward, use a hydrofoil, use transom wedges, etc.

In a tiller steered shorter length boat (being the former owner of one) it was real easy to have an aft CG issue. Moving my seat as far forward as was possible and moving the gas tank and the battery to the front of the boat made a world of difference. A hydrofoil also helped.

Comment

A couple of close up pic's from the op would help.

I could see Yamaha using transom brackets the same as another unit.

I find it difficult to believe you cannot move the "trim down" stop bolts up to a higher bolt hole...

Seems the OP disappeared...
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                      A couple of close up pic's from the op would help.

I could see Yamaha using transom brackets the same as another unit.

I find it difficult to believe you cannot move the "trim down" stop bolts up to a higher bolt hole...

Seems the OP disappeared...
                      I read it as wanting to go lower not up.

if OP does come back, hope he can look and tell us if the ram has more travel to go down farther without bottoming out the ram itself

Comment

Where is the OP? This is absurd.

We may need to start with the grilling lessons.
                        Last edited by pstephens46; 06-01-2018, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

I read it as wanting to go lower not up.

if OP does come back, hope he can look and tell us if the ram has more travel to go down farther without bottoming out the ram itself
                          Your correct, he does want to go lower..

Perhaps he figured it out and is now gone fishing...??
                          Scott

Comment

In less time than it took to write a couple of his messages the OP could have moved some weight forward and more than likely solved his problem.

OP's come here and ask questions, get some answers, and then depart never to be seen or heard from again. At least it gives us regulars something to ponder upon.

Comment

49aaf31cf33b11e4944e123138109e21.jpg4d64a89af33b11e4944e123138109e21.jpg Probably just not enough room in there when the engine is all down to use the extra holes.

Picture of mystery plugs.
                              Last edited by panasonic; 06-02-2018, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Maybe this motor needs the straight through shaft removed and short stub shafts bolted to each bracket holes past this point to avoid fouling the tilt ram et all.
                                The only way to know is to unbolt and take it out and see if motor actually tilts further by the ram.

Comment

Working...
                                X