Throttle Position Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle Position Sensor

I have a 2002 F115 with 950 hours on it.

Last year I had issues with the IAC valve and ECU - both replaced and also the oil pump. During these issues I also had the fuel system serviced , Injectors and VST cleaned.

Motor had been running fine for at least the last 30 hours since the oil pump was replaced.

Last trip I had run for say 30 min and then when I pulled the throttle back the engine started to run rough and then stalled. It took a bit to get it running again ie had to lift the throttle to get it started and would not idle. After a few stops and starts it ran again fine. Then after running a bit more I take off and soon after it loses power and almost stalled, I pulled the throttle back and it ran rough for a bit and then got going OK. I have had this problem in the past where later in the day it would do this maybe once or twice but intermittently.

I hooked up YDIS at home and came up with a code for the TPS. On the diagnostic now it is showing .7v which I understand is the correct value.

Is the TPS a part that should be replaced after this amount of time/operation ? I just don't want to go through the BS I went through last year when trying to get to the bottom of my oil pressure and IAC issues.

Thanks in advance

JON
    Last edited by JONSNELL; 03-02-2014, 08:13 PM.

TPS problems as you mentioned are very relevant ,as most faults with TPS is the erratic behavior of the motor ,if it idles it wont run at speed and if it runs at speed it will cut of and wont start ,this is typical TPS problem

Comment

We have replaced the part - couldn't see any point in trying yet again to diagnose an intermittent problem for a $230- part. Will see what happens when I give her a run on the weekend.

Can someone give me a layman's explanation of what the TPS actually does ?

Thanks JON

Comment

it simply gives the ECU a voltage representation of throttle angle and throttle acceleration/deceleration.

you can toss it in the creek and the motor will run.

timing will be fixed at 10* BTDC idle speed will increase and top speed cannot be reached but it will run.

I have seen a lot of TPS's get blamed but I haven't seen a TPS failure in over 15 years.

they are very simple to test but also remember to test the reference voltage BEFORE testing the feed back voltage.
        lose the ref or the ground and it faults as well.

there is no single sensor on the motor that if a signal is lost the motor quits.

Comment

Working...
        X