Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Tank Improvement or "good idea"?

In a recent post in another thread Rodbolt said:
    "hulls manufactured after January 2010 cannot vent vapors directly to the atmosphere and neither can vapor separators."

Does that mean sealed fuel supply similar to car fuel tanks? If so, will that lead to fewer ethanol problems due to limited moisture getting into the tank? One should hope but I would be interested to know. Or have we just added another "good idea" that leads to more trouble?

Ray

Any thing that keeps moisture out of the tank is good for the boat.

I would like for engine makers to do away with fuel related crap being hung on the motor, except for the fuel rails, injectors and pressure regulator. Put the fuel pump (one and one only) in the damn tank where it belongs. One filter and one filter only at the outlet of the fuel tank.

Less to fail, better filtration and cooler fuel.

Comment

nope

just means we get to pay more for less.

if you don't believe it look for a price on 2010 and later EPA compliant 3 gallon portable tank and a 2010 compliant fuel line assy.

our govt is shucking us and 90% of the folks are actually believing it.

but that is a whole nother thread.

almost like the one that got me banned from another boat repair site I posted on for years.

I will still call him bobdufus.

but I do have a question.
      can any of the puter geeks here get me a copy of the thread that banned me .

Comment

PM me the name of the site, and did you go by the same name and ill get it for you..

Comment

I never saw it, I looked, maybe it was deleted.
          I was currius but could not find it
          Rodbolt was the name from what I remember

Comment

I'd be curious to see it. I love a good controversy.
            If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

hulls and portable tanks made after jan 2010 cannot be vented directly to the atmosphere.
              hulls will have a charcoal canister vapor recovery system and portable tanks have a pressure relief style vent.

bites and cost a bunch more but it is what it is.

Comment

The word "improvement" may or may not be applicable to the new fuel tanks.

The EPA keeps putting band aids on the problem. They won't address the core problem of pollution.

PERKO Fuel Systems

When "instructions" are needed as to how to use a portable fuel tank we are in trouble. Wait until all of this stuff starts failing in a few years from now. Decks having to be cut out to gain access to permanently mounted tanks.

Comment

I have the "older design" red polyethylene 12 gallon tank with the screw vent in the cap, but if I ever replace my tank with the "new/heavy duty" pressure type, wonder if a guy might just accidentally/on purpose leave the cap slightly loose to eliminate pressure from building up, especially if tank is sitting in direct sunlight in the back of the boat(like it is on mine)?.....I just don't buy into the idea that vented marine fuel tanks are contributing any negligible air pollution??....but of course, it's what we have to work with!....

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                    I have the "older design" red polyethylene 12 gallon tank with the screw vent in the cap, but if I ever replace my tank with the "new/heavy duty" pressure type, wonder if a guy might just accidentally/on purpose leave the cap slightly loose to eliminate pressure from building up, especially if tank is sitting in direct sunlight in the back of the boat(like it is on mine)?.....I just don't buy into the idea that vented marine fuel tanks are contributing any negligible air pollution??....but of course, it's what we have to work with!....
                    My cap would always be left loose by "accident".

I await the introduction of charcoal canisters being added to the portable tanks.

Comment

Sorry for the delay - been busier than a man my age should be.

I didn't make the connection until Rodbolt said:

"and portable tanks have a pressure relief style vent."

I switched to a six gallon portable for my pontoon boat two seasons ago - better to manage the very little bit of fuel I use during 2,000 RPM sunset cruises - the first tank was my indoctrination to these new tanks, it expands like a football and is meant to remain sealed, according to the instructions - at the beginning of the second season the damn thing leaked like a sieve so I had to replace it - yep, just another "good idea."

Ray

Comment

Working...
                      X