Engine Control Cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Control Cables

I want to install new remote control cables.

Who makes the best control cables and who/where is the best vendor?

Right now, all four of my cables are the same length, and that kinda creates a problem unto itself. The starboard cables should be at least a foot or two shorter than the port engines. I'm not trying to get them neat and tight or anything, but sometimes a cable or hose that is too long is almost as bad as one that is too short!

I have the dual Yamaha binnacle, and of course the SX/LX150TXRY's installed on a 2350 Bluewater CC. I'm inclined to go Yamaha for Yamaha, but would respect y'all's opinion if that is the best spending of a hard earned dollar. Seems those dollars don't come easy and plentiful these days, and every time I turn around I find something else that I would appreciate improvement.

Thank you and enjoy your weekend!
    If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Teleflex Extreme are unarguably the best.

On the other hand, the Yamaha branded cables are made by Teleflex. Seem to be one and the same as the Teleflex Extreme branded cables.

Probably a bet less of a price than for the Yamaha brand. Just because they are Yamaha.

boats.net is the best vendor for the Yamaha brand cables. Don't know if they sell the Teleflex branded cable or not.

Boat Parts: mar-cable-20-sc

Comment

Just curious, but what's wrong with your cables now?....If I were replacing mine, I'd stick with the Yamaha cables....

Comment

Old cables, hang in gear, hard shifting.

Thank you folks for your replies.

My cables are probably original equipment, circa 2000. This vessel had sat moored, virtually unused for three+ years when my buddy became ill.

I currently experience hard control movement and hanging in gear when returning binnacle to neutral. I have to go halfway into reverse to disengage forward. Additionally, the Stbd cables take two relatively hard S turns to eat up the extra length because the rigger didn't have the forethought that the distance to that engine was about two feet closer to the path. Its just not up to my standard.

Yes, i could probably pull all four cables, gravity feed a siliconteflon based lubricant down them like we do with 1979 motorcycles cables, and reinstall them with proper rigging technique. They may last a few more years, but new cables properly installed are so much nicer and more dependable. I'll order and install new rod ends too. No worries.

I am cost careful and find Boats.net to have mostly, reasonable prices. I take advantage of the free shipping over 250.00 by planning my purchase around the purchase of say a digital gauge and then toss in a few more parts to ride for free. Now I do find my local Yamaha authorized dealer, who charges me full list price, for a scant few parts at list, the price is more reasonable than boats with discount and paid shipping. Besides, I get it right now.

Of the thousands of dollars I have spent, 80% has been with boats.net. Being in Florida, the shipping for me, happens within a day or two from departing the warehouse.

Comment

Educate me...

Please educate me folks.

When ordering cables, the measurement length, is it from rigging eye to eye or the mounting boss on the cable sheath?

Comment

I am not sure as I have not had to measure them before, just look for labels printed on the cable jackets, should indicate what length the ones you have are. Then order same or change length as needed

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
              Just curious, but what's wrong with your cables now?....If I were replacing mine, I'd stick with the Yamaha cables....
              Since Teleflex makes the Yamaha branded cable, what would be the benefit of using a Yamaha branded cable (made by Teleflex) over a Teleflex branded cable (made by Teleflex)?

Comment

Originally posted by FabricGATOR View Post
                Please educate me folks.

When ordering cables, the measurement length, is it from rigging eye to eye or the mounting boss on the cable sheath?
                Neither of the above.

The measurement is from the outer end of the threaded fitting at one end to the outer end of the threaded fitting at the other end.

Comment

Thank you Boscoe99

I love you guys, a great wealth of knowledge and resource.

The Yamaha cables from boats.net, are they the Teleflex 3300 extreme cables or are they a different standard? I know Teleflex has different product lines.

The reason I consider Yamaha cables from boats is to piggyback onto a free shipping deal over 250.00 and they have been a very reputable source for my needs. I am loyal and support outdoor network. I recommend them as a great source of marine and motorcycle parts. Good business practices go a long way with me.

Comment

I believe the Yamaha cable is one and the same as the Teleflex TFEXTREME.

They are super slick. Practice shifting and throttling a bit before using the motor.

Comment

Not meaning to hijack thread but... Anyway, I have installed a 6L2-48501 -11-00 shift and throttle on the side of my 1998 25HP Yamaha outboard MSHW that has a tiller control and shift lever on motor. I put a small center console in my 16' Carolina Skiff. Wanting to use a SeaChoice SCP28401 (called out as a throttle and clutch shift like the old fashion Morse generic con*****er) control that calls for a 33C cable. Another of my choices is a Uflex UFXB47 control that calls for a C2 cable with an UFXK25 adapter to hook to it. I know both cables are 10-32 threaded end but will either fit my Remote Control bracket and be the correct length to reach the control levers?
                      Last edited by RIPSAWSBOAT; 03-21-2014, 04:59 PM.
                      RIPSAW

Comment

Working...
                      X