Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard to rebuild lower unit in 60hp 2 stroke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard to rebuild lower unit in 60hp 2 stroke?

I have a 1997 60 hp 2 stroke Yamaaha and it has about 1,000 hours on it. The powerhead is strong, I replaced the head gasket and the cylinders, pistons look excellent and the compression is strong and even. I really like the motor. The lower unit seems like it is making a very slight amount of noise but running fine. I was thinking it might be a good time to rebuild before it fails in the middle of fishing season. I have a fair amount of car mechanic experience up to rebuilding a dozen motors but have never done an outboard lower end.
    Should I attempt it or should I just by a rebuilt one. If I go the rebuilt way, where is the best place to buy one?

Thanks
    Last edited by Pacific Fisher; 02-27-2014, 10:17 PM.

it aint a motor.
    its gears.
    gears is gears don't care if its in a lathe head stock, you 71 chebby or your Yamaha.
    gears is simply gears.

Comment

Gearbox

I have just rebuilt a 85 Yamaha's gearbox and fitted a new water pump kit.
      A decent puller and a heater (LP gas with a small flame) was needed to heat the housing to get the old parts out. Once everything is out the refitment of the new gears and clutchdog is fairly easy. There is a lot about this on the web so do research before you start. Genuine Yamaha parts are very expensive but there are non original parts available.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacific Fisher View Post
        I have a 1997 60 hp 2 stroke Yamaaha and it has about 1,000 hours on it. The powerhead is strong, I replaced the head gasket and the cylinders, pistons look excellent and the compression is strong and even. I really like the motor. The lower unit seems like it is making a very slight amount of noise but running fine. I was thinking it might be a good time to rebuild before it fails in the middle of fishing season. I have a fair amount of car mechanic experience up to rebuilding a dozen motors but have never done an outboard lower end.
        Should I attempt it or should I just by a rebuilt one. If I go the rebuilt way, where is the best place to buy one?

Thanks
        "Very slight amount of noise"....maybe drain lower unit oil and inspect for metal particles, water, contamination,etc....If your lower unit oil looks reasonably clean it may well be that you don't have a problem....Older 2 stroke outboards make a lot of clicking, whirring, clacking sounds, that to a paranoid ear can sound like "real problems"....good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X