oil pump '85 70HP Yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pump '85 70HP Yamaha

I have a great older little center console boat with a '85 70HP 3 cylinder Yamaha outboard with oil injection. I have had no problems with this engine for many years until recently. The past couple times I' ve started the motor it smoked for a couple minutes and then went away. I ran it for several hours and it worked fine. The last time I went to start it wouldn't turn over. It acted like a weak battery or bad starter. After checking both out and determining that both were ok I pulled the spark plugs to see if the engine was seized. When I cranked the engine it cranked fine but, it blew out about a quarter pint of oil out of the bottom cylinder spark plug hole. I put the plugs back in and the motor started up fine, smoked a couple of minutes and then ran fine for several hours.

Do I have a bad oil pump that is leaking oil into the cylinder while sitting unused? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like a bad pump, probably a seal leaking in back of pump or the internal check valves are bad. The new pump you will get will have inline check valves which will resolve the problem.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X