1999 Yamaha 90hp stuck in neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 Yamaha 90hp stuck in neutral

Hey folks, I am a first-time boat owner here in South Florida who recently bought a 16ft Whaler with a 1999 90hp Yamaha 2-stroke. The boat ran well on my test drive. My very generous friend donated his time showing me how to replace the lower unit oil. He also replaced the water separator and impeller and made sure the cooling system was pissing with fervor. We also cleaned the gas tank inside and out and replaced the fuel sending line.

I have had the boat on a trailer while I cleaned, scraped, and painted it. Fast forward many hours of scraping etc (make that a month) I was finally ready for launch this afternoon. I started the motor before trailering it out to be sure everything was ok. But when I pushed off.... the boat was stuck in neutral! I did not think to check whether it went into gear.

After trying for too long to get the boat in gear, I personally towed it back to shore. A different friend who was helping me at the time said it sounds as though the neutral switch is stuck, or the safety. But he's no pro, so that is why I am here asking you folks. We took the cover off while the motor was running and we could see the lever on the starboard side shifting when we moved the throttle from reverse to neutral to forward (pardon my lack of engine vocabular haha).

Any advice is much appreciated! I am assuming this will take the work of a professional, and I would like to have my head around exactly what the problem is before I tow it to a Yamaha spe******t. Could it be that the button on the left side of the throttle is stuck? I am attaching a photo to show you all what I am looking at.

Thank you!
    Attached Files

He probably didn't get shift shaft align when he replaced water pump impeller. Need to remove lower unit and align shift shaft.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Ill second that motion.
      sometimes buddies mean well but can induce issues.

Comment

Working...
      X