anodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anodes

I have an 07 T50TLR. An anode has broken of in the exhaust water jacket for #1 cylinder. The anode in the water jacket does not bother me. What I am concerned about is the anode moving and blocking a cooling water passage.Are my concerns valid? Thank you, Don.

Some motors it's a problem and others it's no big deal....hopefully Rodbolt will answer this, since he's one who knows.....

Comment

Thanks for the reply Robert. My take is the same. I just do not want to take the head off a perfectly running engine for this. I am not familiar withe water passages in this head.

Comment

any time you have something solid running around inside the cooling passages there is a good chance it will cause hot spots when it restricts water flow

Comment

Just curious...

How do you know there is an anode loose?
          If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

if it came loose from the exhaust cover you wont need to remove the cyl head.
            can you post a picture of the missing anode?

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. This anode is a very poor design. It is a pencil anode that is drilled and threaded to accept a machine screw. anode is inserted in a cover and a machine screw goes through cover and threads into anode. The anode and cover are inserted into the head and bolted on. The anode is most active where it is the hottest. That is where it enters the cover. Unfortunately this is also where it is drilled and threaded and the anode is the thinnest. There is an anode for each cylinder. These anodes have been used in salt water for 6 years. I estimate they are 10 to 15% wasted. All the wastage is where the anode is the weakest. 2 of the 4 broke off and I was able to get 1 broken one out. The other was just hanging on the edge of the hole into the water jacket. I was going to try to hold it with a jewelers screw driver and touch the anode with a rod with real sticky grease on it and pull it out. As soon as I touched it with the screwdriver it fell inside the water jacket.

An anode does not wear evenly. It tend to "honeycomb". This greatly weakens the area these anodes are already weak.

Robert: I an hoping the engine design took into account of pencil anodes breaking off. I have to do that with salt water piping to protect pumps.

fabricGator: Unfortunately I saw it.

rodbolt: There was one in the exhaust manifold that had virtually no wastage.
              If that had been the first one I took out I may not have bothered with the others. But I expected that one to be the worst so I did the others first to get a "feel" of how to get a difficult one out.

I will take pics tomorrow to try to show what is going on here. Funny on other forums I am always telling people to take pics. I did not think off it.
              Thanks Don

Comment

and now we have the story.
                its also why I say either DO the maint PER schedule or DO NOT jack with the anodes.

best I recall the internal anode maint is once per year OR every 100 hrs whichever occurs FIRST.

however that broken anode needs to be retrieved before it causes issues.

Comment

OK, so I have been "fishing" with bailing wire and a small rubber tube attached to a shop vac. I can not even feel it. The head is coming off. This has to be the stupidest reason I have ever had to remove a head.

New anodes are due here tomorrow. I do not think I am going to install them in the head. Instead I think I am going to weld over the machine screw holes in the anode caps and bolt the caps on without anodes. The anodes I took out were not doing anything and why deal with them. I will leave the anode in the exhaust manifold. And yes rodbolt17, doing all the maintenance on time and I would not be in this spot.

Thank you all for your replies, Don

Comment

Working...
                  X