Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on a motor

Hi guys
    please can you assist... Im looking at purchasing a yamaha outboard motor with the following serial no 55be-la311203.

What does this number tell me about the motor?

Thanx

nothing here, Ive never seen a serial number like that,, probably not a U S market engine..

Comment

That is a not a serial number for a Yamaha branded Yamaha made outboard motor. They all start with the number 6.

Look at the post wherein the guy is asking about the year of manufacture for his motor. He shows a picture of the engine serial number for his motor, or Primary Identification as it is officially known.

Yamaha has made motors for other companies but they carry the identity assigned by the other company. So, that are not considered a Yamaha motor even though made by Yamaha.

Comment

2 stroke, 2 cylinder (known as hammerhead here in PRT) manufactured in 1980, electric start (no trim/tilt), heard that are very powerfull but parts are getting hard to find.

Thats a motor I would like to try on my motorboat with 190kg/419lb hull instead of my 30hp.

Comment

in fact may be a Mariner.

My files show year of manuctactured as 1980 but dont specifies for which markets.

Comment

Originally posted by almetelo View Post
            2 stroke, 2 cylinder (known as hammerhead here in PRT) manufactured in 1980, electric start (no trim/tilt), heard that are very powerfull but parts are getting hard to find.

Thats a motor I would like to try on my motorboat with 190kg/419lb hull instead of my 30hp.
            So it's a good motor ? I'm replacing a yamaha 3cyl 60hp with it.... Will it be a big difference ?

Comment

Originally posted by almetelo View Post
              in fact may be a Mariner.

My files show year of manuctactured as 1980 but dont specifies for which markets.
              Defiantly a yamaha... I'm from South Africa

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                That is a not a serial number for a Yamaha branded Yamaha made outboard motor. They all start with the number 6.

Look at the post wherein the guy is asking about the year of manufacture for his motor. He shows a picture of the engine serial number for his motor, or Primary Identification as it is officially known.

Yamaha has made motors for other companies but they carry the identity assigned by the other company. So, that are not considered a Yamaha motor even though made by Yamaha.
                Defiantly yamaha 55 see pic attachedimage.jpg

Comment

look to see if you can find parts on a motor that old before buying, they do not hold up forever

Comment

If is a good motor? I guess/hope so... its a yamaha but I don't had any experience with it. I think we can't say any motor is good or bad, many factors are involved.

I guess the diference must be very little, just 5hp less and your WOT speed must reduce 2 kts assuming you were and are good proped.

although I would like to try one of that I always prefer the 3 cylinder ( had 60 2 strk 3 cylinder and was a great motor as well)

Fuel consumption must be +/- the same

Comment

Owned a C55TLRS which is a 1994 model for US market. Replaced it with a 60TLRB, a 2003 US motor. Not sure about your motors, but this is what I can say about my 55 and 60. The C55 was a bulletproof motor but I sure like the 60 better. The 60 runs smoother, has oil injection, has much more power. The weight of my 60hp is just slightly more than the 55. Really just depends on your needs, but if it is anything like mine I would expect a considerable loss of power going to the 55hp from a 60hp.

Comment

Working...
                      X