Turn the start key nothing on left key, right key starts ok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn the start key nothing on left key, right key starts ok

Went out to start my motors today boat on trailer. The right motor starts up no problem and has trim
    The left motor doesn't start and has no trim.

When I switch harness and turn the left key it starts the right motor and have
    trim on right motor.

Looks like getting nothing going to the left motor. Left switch is ok when I switch the harness the right motor starts.

I have saltwater series II OX66 engines.

Hope someone can help me need to figure out what is going on???
    Last edited by videorov; 03-02-2014, 12:11 PM.

first see if the engine that wont start will trim up and down, if it does not then possibly a blown main engine fuse, behind the key switch, swap the port and starboard main harness connectors, check to see if the issue follows or stay with the same engine, if it follows to the other engine then possible ign switch is bad,, I just replace one yesterday for the same issue,,

Comment

there is a main fuse on the engine, inside the fuse box. and if you cant find the fuse box, its time to buy a service manual, the fuse box is very visible, and even the layperson can find it..

Comment

Originally posted by videorov
        Ok thanks for your help, I will look for it tomorrow. Should not be to hard
        to find. I just wasn't sure if there was a fuse under the ignition switch somewhere but know now to go to the engine.

First time for a fuse to blow but first time for everything I guess.
        Glad it never went out on the water because I didn't have any on the boat.
        My 2000 SWS II 150's have a spare fuse in the black engine electrical box cover. Also, there is another same fuse for the aux battery charging circuit (lighting coil) that is unused on most installation that can be used in an emergency. If you have a round, capped two wire connector where the wire harness enters the engine, then the lighting circuit is unused. You then may have basically, two spares per engine.

These are 80 amp on my engine, so if it went bad, you probably have a hard short circuit.

I'd check the battery connections and the quality of the heavy battery wires first. Take a voltage reading at the battery terminal by the starter and a good ground spot on the engine under the cowling. Then check and see if it drops off while you attempt to crank the engine or power the trim/tilt. I've found that seawater has a tendency to migrate up inside the insulation and corrodes the copper hair within. Then you have a hard section of the wire that either has to be replaced or reterminated.

Noticed your username, do you ROV?
        If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

biggest cause of that 80 amp fuse to blow?
          someone hooked up a battery cable wrong.

Comment

sounds like a harness problem or a fuse

You need to start testing fuses,wires, and switches

Does T&T switches on both motors do anything

See I can change and delete my posts too
            Last edited by 99yam40; 03-02-2014, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Ok here is what is going on with this thing

Went out to start my motors today boat on trailer. The right motor starts up no problem and has trim
              The left motor doesn't start and has no trim.

When I switch harness and turn the left key it starts the right motor and have trim on right motor.

Looks like getting nothing going to the left motor. Left switch is ok when I switch the harness the right motor starts.

Comment

Found the problem

Its all working ok now.

Comment

care to enlighten us,, what was the problem,,

Comment

Found the problem

Well it looks like the back battery #1 position where just to dead and even
                    though I switch to the front #2 bank of batteries I thought were all by themselves. This boat came from the factory with just two back batteries and then I had a company add the 2nd bank up front in the console.
                    I guess the way it is wired the #1 bank has to always be pretty good
                    our I will run into this problem. I normally don't let them get that low but I have been taking care of my mother with cancer the past few months which she just pasted away last month. So I let the batteries get lower.
                    I just thought if the fronts where good and battery switch in #2 position
                    things would crank as normal.
                    I will remember this for the future. Must be the way they wired the front bank. I have to always have a good back bank.

Its working now with brand new batteries
                    I mainly used the backs to start the engines and when I got to the fishing
                    spot I would swich over to the front for all the electronics and always know
                    I had good starting batteries.
                    Last edited by videorov; 03-02-2014, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Sorry to hear about loosing your mom. I know what that is like.

Back to the boat, I would mothball my vessel when going offshore for work. I found my batteries in deep discharge when I returned last trip. Thought the auto bilge sucked it dry, sitting on the trailer with the drain plugs pulled. We had a lot of rain that month and the ****pit scuppers were fouled with leaves.

I was wrong. I had prior installed a new marine stereo with both infrared and wireless remotes. Turns out the wireless remote module sucks 900 ma/hr. What were they thinking? I installed a third Perko battery switch that I wired for the house power, so I can disconnect all battery drain when in cold storage. After a few months of non use, I can usually get a start and at worst, I just need a topping charge to be 100%
                      If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Working...
                      X