703 yam control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 703 yam control

Been a while since last on due to new baby, boat was put on hold but now going to get it ready for season.
    had wiring mess on old 703 control box, so decided to buy New!!!!
    looking for info on what the 2 cables with red,blue and green are for?
    Are they spare incase need to add another trim button or need connecting for the trim button in control handle to work?
    regards
    graham

That is exactly what they are for, another trim and tilt button.

Yam makes a switch that can be mounted to the bow of the boat for example. A harness from the remote switch then runs to and connects with the bullet connectors that come from the control box.

They obviously are tied in with the trim and tilt switch on the handle and the trim and tilt switch that is attached to the engine pan.

Comment

So are they both spare or does one still need connecting?
      I have the old style tacho without the buttons so as my controls are new type what would I have to do to get this all working, would buying new style guage be good option?

Comment

Don't understand what you mean by "are they both spare". There is only one set of red, blue and green wire connectors in the alternate trim and tilt wire harness. If you don't install a third trim and tilt switch then you do nothing. The connectors just remain there unused for if and when they are needed.

There are two sets of wires to each connector simply because that is the way Yamaha designed the system.

The older style Yam multifunction tachometer without buttons will work just fine with a new control box.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Don't understand what you mean by "are they both spare". There is only one set of red, blue and green wire connectors in the alternate trim and tilt wire harness. If you don't install a third trim and tilt switch then you do nothing. The connectors just remain there unused for if and when they are needed.

There are two sets of wires to each connector simply because that is the way Yamaha designed the system.

The older style Yam multifunction tachometer without buttons will work just fine with a new control box.
          Mine is a 1999 Yamaha with the 703 con*****er and I've always wondered until now what those "extra" connectors were just hanging in the breeze there...Now we know!....thanks!

Comment

the cable with the red , green, yellow, and black should be for the tach if that is what you mean

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Sorry to be pain in asse, in the picture I posted there is the loom with yellow in that I believe is to the guage, then from what I see is x2 looms both having green, blue and red wires coming out! That's why was wondering if both spare or does one set need harness to be joined from these to engine in order for trim in handle to work

Comment

the yellow is key on 12 v power, green is tach signal, black is ground for tach

the blue and green you are talking about are just a junction where you can hook up a extra T&T switch if you want to. No you do not have to hook anything up to them and the one on controls will work the T&T just fine

Comment

Great so they are both spare! Then loom with yellow wire in goes to harness that then to tacho guage

Comment

Am I right to think the 2 looms I refer to is to place switch inbetween then so one is feed to switch other feed from switch bck to control????
                    Kind of got head round this!
                    So as my 703 controls are the new type I should still be able to use old oil n trim leads from engine and my old lcd marine meter??

Comment

Originally posted by Gramas80 View Post
                      Am I right to think the 2 looms I refer to is to place switch inbetween then so one is feed to switch other feed from switch bck to control????Kind of got head round this!
                      So as my 703 controls are the new type I should still be able to use old oil n trim leads from engine and my old lcd marine meter??
                      No.

Forget all about the three connectors for the optional trim and tilt switch if you are not going to be adding a third trim and tilt switch.

See the diagram below that shows the other wires being used. For some reason (crappy Yam data) it fails to depict the red, blue and green wires for the optional trim and tilt switch.

Comment

Crude depiction of the optional trim and tilt switch to the 703 control box.

Comment

Boscoe many thanks, I'm still unsure tho what I need to get mine working, if I lay it all out and take pictures would you be able to establish what I'd need to change/buy to allow older engine and guage to run alongside the new 703controls

Comment

If all you did was to get a new control box as a replacement for an old control box you don't need to buy anything. Simply unplug the old 703 box and plug in the new 703 box.

It is that simple. If there are wires on the old/new 703 box that are not being used, that is OK. They simply are not used. They are there if wanted/needed, but they are not necessary in all applications.

For instance, the three red/blue/green wires are hardly ever used. Only time they come into play is if and when a third trim and tilt switch gets installed. Hardly ever.

The yellow, black and green wires are used if you have gauges. If no gauges, then those wires are not used.

The red wire is used typically if someone has a Yamaha fuel management meter installed. If there is not one, then that wire is not used.

Tell us precisely what gauges you have and what is the specific model of your motor.

Comment

Yamaha guage, controls,leads and engine

Comment

Working...
                              X