trim guage on tach not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trim guage on tach not working

I have twin 2004 four stroke 115 outboards and one trim guage quit working then the other quit. The sensors look fine. On the pink wire connector at the tach was a tag reading (If this tachometer is used for 2003 and earlier model F30,F40,F50,and F60, disconnect the pink lead coupler attaching this tag.Otherwise, the trim angle display will malfunction. Have a waterproof treatment to the disconnected couplers) My pink couplers were connected but I am wondering if that caused the trim guages to quit. Talking to a mechanic and he said unplug the pink wires but that did nothing. If I replace the tachs are the pink wire couplers left disconnected? Thanks

The trim sensors are known to stick. The engine moves them in one direction and a spring moves them in the other direction. Have they been cleaned and lubricated and do they work freely in both directions?

Also, there is a device known as a trim cam that the sender pushes against. Early engines used a plastic cam that is known to break. If it breaks there will be no indication on the tachometer. Check the trim cam. The updated version is made of stainless steel.

Item number one in the following link

2004 F115TLRC Yamaha Outboard BRACKET 2 Diagram and Parts

It is always helpful if you provide the full model of your motor. It is an F115TXRC. I think.

Comment

Thanks for coming back, my motors are model F115TXRC one made 11/03 and the other 1/04. Looking at the motors, one part of sensor is on pivot tube and the other on the motor, I am not seeing were a spring is involved. I will look at diagram and stainless option.

Comment

The spring is part of the trim sender. It is wound around the shaft that goes into the sender and to which the arm of the sender is attached.

Comment

Thanks, that looks very clear, I hope that will solve the problem. We got some snow last night so I will deal with that now.

Comment

Working...
          X