Engine Number??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Number??

Can anyone help? I have an older 50 hp 2-stroke outboard and would like to identify its year and model? I can tell that it is pre 1995, by the color (blue). The identification plate, that has the serial number, normally found on the port side of the engine mount is missing (not uncommon on a motor of this age). I also cannot find the year of manufacture stamp. The only identifying number I can find, is what I assume is the "engine number", stamped onto the engine block. This is "66301". I would like to know the model incase I have to order parts?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by Rusty Bolt; 02-18-2014, 01:48 PM.

these ID plates do not normally just fall off.
    They are normally removed by people to keep the motor from being identified easily by Law enforcement

I would not buy a motor that it has been removed from for many reasons

good luck with your search

Comment

The older the data decal, the harder it is to remove. Only way for one to not be intentionally removed is if for some reason someone wanted to clean the decal with a pressure washer for ten minutes or so.

Is the alternate set of numbers available on the block? It is a round decal normally near the starter motor. Black with a white bar in the middle. The numbers (should be five or six digits) will be in black font in the white bar. I suppose that it just fell off as well.

Look at the carburetors. What markings can be seen on them?

Comment

Engine Number ??

I live on the island of Cyprus. I bought a boat here from an elderly lady, whos husband had passed away.This Yamaha outboard is fitted to the boat. Both the boat, trailer and motor were brought to Cyprus from the United Kingdom, by her husband several years ago. They would have been checked by customs in Cyprus, before being cleared and released to the owner who had emigrated here. The motor must have been identifiable at the time otherwise it would not have cleared customs? I have looked a little closer and under the numbers 66301 there is a letter "C" and the #42. it appears like this
        C
        The 4 & 2 are inside circles.
        I believe that Yamaha motors in Europe may be different than in the U.S. I have never seen a Yamaha outboard with an I.D. decal ??
        originally it would have had a small tin/metal plate about 2'' long, pop-rivited onto the port side of the mounting bracket with the serial # on it.
        Last edited by Rusty Bolt; 02-18-2014, 04:19 PM.

Comment

All primary ID numbers begin with the number six. Here is what a typical label looks like. They are glued onto the motor. It is not a metal plate and there are no rivets.

Comment

Hi Boscoe!

I donīt know how it works for the US market but in EU on previous models (until 1995 I guess) the motor ID was with a metal plate and fixed with some type of rivets.
            My 30D or 30E for US have that plate.
            My F100 and F4 donīt,
            have a sticker like you described above

Example on pic
            Last edited by almetelo; 04-12-2014, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by almetelo View Post
              Hi Boscoe!

I donīt know how it works for the US market but in EU on previous models (until 1995 I guess) the motor ID was with a metal plate and fixed with some type of rivets.
              My 30D or 30E for US have that plate.
              My F100 and F4 donīt,
              have a sticker like you described above

Example on pic
              Thanks for the information. God knows that Yamaha likes to mix things up. I am basing my information from the world wide rigging guide (all motors to all countries) as shown below from the 2012 WWRG. Now perhaps this information only addresses what is being done now. Maybe they did use metal plates and rivets at one time in the past. Too bad their current data does not address old stuff.

It is sad to lose history.

Comment

Working...
              X