9.9hp no tell tale before/after new pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.9hp no tell tale before/after new pump

No tell tale on my 1989 9.9hp 4 stroke yamaha. Worked great the week before then started again with no tell tale. Cleared hoses and plastic tell tale with a wire. Nothing blocking any of the lines or tubing. I ordered a new pump from Yamaha outboard parts and installed it today. Still no water coming out of the tell tale. Pump impeller looked fine. Now I do not know what to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

I just fixed it! I found a crack on a small hose that jumpers a port so I put a tie wrap on each end & tightened it. Then blew air into each port. A stream of water then came out after starting the engine, but not a lot. Then blew pressure two more seperate times after running it and now it is coming out with lots of pressure. Not sure why but it is not a small stream but lots of pressure from the port. That is the way it came back after the previous mechanic installed the impeller the last time two years ago.
    Last edited by wildturkey; 02-17-2014, 07:32 PM.

Originally posted by wildturkey View Post
    it is not a small stream but lots of pressure from the port.
    Not sure what you mean by this statement but if it is that the water is spraying instead of a stream, then there is something partially plugging the outlet.
    Do some more blowing or rodding out

Comment

The stream has a very high output of water coming out. I am not sure but when the previous mechanic installed the pump two yrs ago there was a small part at one of the ports in the pump. He took it out and said he did not know what that is for. Then we started it and ever since then the tell tale puts out a very high stream of water out rather than a pisser stream like most motors. I am thinking that part might have been a orfice. At least it is working back to normal since the last two years.

Comment

Sorry I posted on your earlier post. Be careful too much flow can mean the water flow is bypassing some of the cooling. That piece probably constricted the flow so that not too much water is wasted to provide the tell tale.

Comment

Working...
        X