on-board charger question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• on-board charger question

A 55lb minn-kota came with my boat as part of the package. It is a 12 volt motor, but it is hooked up to two 12 volt deep cycles. I want to get an on-board charger for simplicity, but I dont know if it would be best to get a 2 bank charger for just the 2 deep cycles or a 3 bank charger for the deep cycles and the cranking battery. My engine is a yamaha F115 with a 25 amp. alternator. Any advise is welcome, I guess my concerns are: when recharging my deep cycles do I overheat or damage my fully charged cranker (3 bank setup)?, if the cranker goes dead it seems that the 3 bank would be a benefit?? unless of course it will somehow damage the cranker. Thanks to anybody who can provide the info.

My only recommendation would be a three bank DualPro, either the SE or the Saltwater version. No other charger compares. The DualPro and Stealth chargers are the only ones made in the USA too. Checkout www.DualPro.com for more info.
    You can find them at Bass Pro or online.

Mike

Comment

I checked out the website as recommended. Looks like a quality product. Still wondering if I need the 3 bank or just the 2 bank. Can the 3 bank damage the cranking battery if it is fully charged?

Comment

Take a look at the Guest chargers. I've had good luck with them. The have a lifetime warranty against water damage.

http://marinco.com/scpt/ProdPage.php...20Recreational

Comment

Thanks guys, I have looked at both product lines. I am still wondering though if I should get the 3 bank set-up, or if by doing so do I run the risk of damaging the cranking battery???

Comment

pb,
            To answer your question about damaging a fully charged cranking battery - NO.
            You say there are two 12 volt deep cycle batteries that power the 12 volt *****ing motor
            . I assume they are hooked up in parallel - right? I would separate the batteries and tie the grounds together. Then I would install a battery selector switch between the two of them and run the ***** motor off only one at a time.
            Get a three bank charger, if you like - but I would go with a two bank for the deep cycle only because the starting battery is going to be fully charged when you get off the water from the outboard's charging system - don't really need to recharge it, unless you let it set for months at a time - if so, then go with the three bank.
            Good battery chargers are designed to charge up to about 14.5 volts (12 volt lead/acid) and then shut off - and then they go into a standby or "float" mode and trickle charge when the battery's voltage "bleeds" back down to around 12.6 volts.
            The onboard chargers that Hamfisted recommends are fully automatic - get 'em hooked up right and forget about 'em.
            Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
            Ken K

Comment

Now that clears it all up.............thanks Ken!!

Comment

Working...
              X