1988 Yamaha V6 ExcelXG constant alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Yamaha V6 ExcelXG constant alarm

Hi all, Please be gentle with me as this my first post..... I'm hoping the collective wisdom in here can give me a few suggestions on how to diagnose & fix a issue with the above. I've posted this in another forum and didn't get much of a response so......

At the dock last weekend on start up I got a buzzer alarm. What's weird is that it started and ran fine with no alarms the day before on the muffs. The VRO is disconnected and I premix, so it can't be the oil alarm. The fuel tank has no sender, so low fuel has never been a issue before. The alarm sounded continuously right away so it couldn't be a overheat issue? Could it? Water pump seemed to be working just fine, nothing running hot....however..... I did notice the choke toggle "stick" a little (as in it didn't flick back to off straight away as usual) and the ignition action was also a little "stiff". Also, my deadmans lanyard has never worked, since I've had the boat (I know, I know, get it fixed). Could this be causing problems? I'm guessing the Ignition/choke switch is original, its one where the ignition, choke toggle and deadmans are all arrayed vertically one under the other on the same panel roughy 4" x 6"

Any way i can test the ignition/choke switch/deadmans switch? Or just swap it out for a new one? Appreciate any input. Thanks in advance

Edit: Is there any reason why a low oil warning would randomly start out of no where when the VRO has been disconnected for months?? Something grounding in the old VRO wire harness?? Clutching at straws here.
    Last edited by Sir Wallaby; 02-05-2014, 03:03 AM. Reason: More info.

Bad Switch

Hi Did you ever find the problem?
    I may have a similar situation as to yours.
    Thanks

Comment

Working...
    X